Is there a particular cliche in wine that you've tired of?

Maybe because it fits? newhere

“value is relative”

First - duh!
Second - we are members of a very rarefied community in which an $85 Cab (for example) can be described as a great value

singular

Yes. The interplay between the acid and young fruit on certain wines makes ‘crunchy’ come into my head. It’s not often but it’s what works.

1 Like

A few more that really irk me when I see them:
-Describing a non-Burgundy wine as ‘Burgundian.’
-Using ‘masculine’ or ‘feminine’ as descriptors.

“What grows together, goes together.” I cannot think of a more vapid statement.

1 Like

masculine and feminine

2 Likes

Varietal, no you mean variety.
Variety, no you mean varietal.

This would parlay nicely over to the Curmudgeon thread!

I am happy to say that, generally speaking, I like Antonio Galloni and his reviews but he re-uses the, “In a word, [spectacular]…” phrase to end his tasting notes way too frequently.

“I drink/like only reds”

How dare you critique a critic. neener

Pair fish and/or chicken with white wine…

Sleeper of the vintage

Any deconstructed Fruit salad especially involving things rarely encountered or overly specific.

2 Likes

“in the context of the vintage” is way over-used.

“good people”, referring to employees or owners of a winery, usually appearing on on-line wine boards, also suggesting that the person saying “good people” has a personal relationship with the people at the winery. I know, I sound like a cantankerous guy, but are there ever “bad people” at a winery?

2 Likes

Most certainly

Yes, there are.

No. And my TNs will back this up.

8 Likes

Any use of the word “delineated.”

And concur on the strings of exotic fruits and teas (for a while, rooibos was like a pandemic). I’ve eaten a lot of “unusual” things but I will never describe something as tasting like one of them to show off. Same with wines–sure, talk about Durian or a very specific type of cherry if your tasting group includes a lot of people who have had it. But c’mon.

1 Like

This one get tricky. Just because a fruit is rarely used in TNs doesn’t mean that it can’t be a valid descriptor. Miguel de Leon talked about this in an article he penned last year for PUNCH, talking about his experiences as an Asian sommelier attending tastings and trying to describe wines with descriptors that were familiar to him, and yet foreign to many who use most traditional tasting grids.

I agree with the core of what you’re saying, that often people throw a word jumble of fruit descriptors out there or use obscure descriptors when they really aren’t familiar with them at all. It’s mostly posturing. But just because something is seldom used as a descriptor, doesn’t mean it can’t be an apt descriptor in a tasting and we should be careful to not immediately dismiss those.

1 Like

In the glass I agree, to an extent, as that doesn’t always tell you how the wine will come across on the palate. But if you’re someone who is sensitive to the mouthfeel of the wine, the bubbles make a huge difference there.

1 Like