Is there a better Mailing list offer than this one?

Can’t wait to try the new Lore. Panek is a modern classic. Bummed allocations are so tight on the Calistoga.

Has anyone held a Corona from the first release? I keep buying them with the intent of holding, but then end up drinking them all. I suspect this is the one in the lineup with potential to improve, but I don’t know. This is the one I just don’t get. Im on the fence because I don’t know how it ages, and it doesn’t give much up the first year or two from delivery.

Jody - I love holding Coronas, especially on the beach! neener

But seriously, I’ve been buying Corona from the start, and haven’t popped one yet. AG gave the '09 a drinking window up to 2021, the '10 to 2025, and the '12 to 2027. I’m sure one of the days I will start popping, but in no rush. :slight_smile:
corona_extra.jpg

If I may be so bold, which chardonnay got a 95 from AG? I plan on buying regardless, but that might influence my purchasing slightly. I’ve always been impressed with the Thieriot and am curious about the Joy road.

I don’t see any notes for these wines on their site.

Finally, the same price for the chardonnay as last year PLUS free shipping now. I don’t think ANYONE can disagree that is a better deal. :slight_smile:

95 points
2013 Rivers-Marie Chardonnay B. Thieriot Vineyard AG states: Drinking window: 2016 - 2020 is one of the most exotic, tropical Chardonnays I have tasted from Rivers-Marie…the review ends with “a distinct Chassagne-like sense of oiliness.”

I googled that phrase and got AG’s review 2012 RAMEY CHARDONNAY, RITCHIE VINEYARD, RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY “Hints of tropical fruit develop in the glass, adding to the wine’s sense of exoticism as the flavors build to a finish imbued with a Chassagne-like oiliness and sense of viscosity.” 94+pts - Antonio Galloni, Vinous, February 2015 price wise this sells for $65 This was clipped from Ramey’s website.

Parker gave the Calistoga a score of 96-100. That was the highest score for the various wines being offered.

AG’s article mentioned a cab from Larkmead vineyard, anyone know what happened to that?

With high Galloni and Parker ratings, should I worry I won’t like them anymore?

Calistoga

lol, nice! I envy your storage space. No doubt Antonio’s windows are probably spot on. If it was Jay’s window, I would laugh but these are seriously wound up tight so AG is probably on point.

I wouldn’t trust AG’s drinking windows I this case. These wines are made to drink young, and a review of recent CT tasting notes of the older vintages ('03,'04,'06) describe wines that mellow, lose their tannins, but don’t gain any interesting tertiary characteristics. Enjoy them young - that’s what they are meant for.

Any tasting notes on these wines?

It’s the Calistoga, apparently this is the old fruit contract that Ramey got for years (I think they had a fuss), I’m not sure why TRB doesn’t get to use the name Larkmead on the label, part of the negotiations I assume.

Yes…but it’s a secret.

I’d agree Daniel that this is the case for all but the Corona. That is the one in the line-up that isn’t approachable on release. I guess that’s what I’m struggling with - what is this one meant for?

All kinds of new insight? You guys/gals have been on top of it.

Calistoga = Larkmead

Joy Road is the new SVD Chard.

Barrel notes/scores from Parker & Galloni

The 09 Corona is starting to unwind. I’d still decant it, but it doesn’t need the hours & hours it once did. There is more fruit & generosity to the 13, but it is still Corona and the most tannic of the lineup.

In general, the 13’s are everything the 12’s were kicked up a notch. Darker in color, dense & more tannic but everything rose with the tide, so the balance is still there.

I just drank an '06 and it is drinking very nicely right now. I don’t see it fading.
Had an '08 recently which I felt was too young and primary.

I have a 09 Corona left if you’d like to trade.

Did Parker rate the Lore?

eRobertParker dotcom #215
Oct 2014 Robert M. Parker, Jr. (94-97) Drink: 2017 - 2037
The estate’s newest offering, the 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Lore Vineyard comes from a steep, rocky site in the eastern hills of Oakville, looking down on the Rudd Winery. A massive wine, it is the biggest, densest and most masculine of these offerings. Broodingly backward, almost primordial, it exhibits lots of earthy minerality as well as blackberry, cassis, scorched earth and charcoal ember notes, and a style reminiscent of a massive vintage of La Mission Haut-Brion. The tannins suggest it should be cellared for 3-4 years and consumed over the following two decades. Not yet released.

Rivers-Marie takes its name from Thomas Rivers Brown, the famous wine consultant, and Genevieve Marie Welsh, who started this operation in 2002. These are the first wines I have tasted from this estate. They also produce some Pinot Noirs from Sonoma which I will taste later this year. All these cuvées reflect brilliant winemaking and viticultural work.

“Broodingly backward”…please make it stop!