Is the new Laurent Ponsot label the ugliest in wine?

Yep… David’s a space nerd!!!

I think you guys are looking at in the wrong context; it reminds me of a certain French or Euro modern or futuristic style–you find in some restaurants–which always initially seems weird, but then you get used to it and it’s ok. It’s better than much in this vein, and I kind of like it. As a marketing move, it stands out, and right here, some 40 of us have been talking about it. Of course, it’s not the label, but what’s in the bottle, and I would not mind having me some on that score as well.

LOL. Nice guys.

An zero on the label I think means this is the inaugural year; is there any significance to that or does it mean something different?

Agree with those who dislike the label. Ponsot himself is pretty classy, so surprised mostly by the lemon/lime lettering.

competition

[resizeableimage=800,400]https://image.ibb.co/gYffvd/Freeze_dried.png[/resizeableimage]

We can rebuild him. Bigger. Blockier. Uglier. [Cue music and Laurent Ponsot slow motion running scene through the Griottes vineyard.]

I think he just decided to design a label to match his “corks”…

he’s making the labels so ugly that nobody would want to copy them to fake the wine.

Who gives a crap. It’s what’s on the inside that counts .

I would love to sneak a bottle into disneyworld and chug it on Space Mountain

Nobody even noticed that he also changed the marketing slogan

‘Ponsot, the final frontier’

One small step for man…one giant step for Ponsot

Ponsot: The Next Generation

NYT article on Ponsot’s solo venture.

Not sure that it really explains or rationalizes the label decision, but there’s some context.

If I was paying the premium for Burgundy primarily as a Veblen good, I’d certainly want the label to appear more traditional. It takes the wind out of your sails if you have to explain to the less knowledgeable clients/coworkers/acquiantances that the cartoon-y label really correlates to a top terroir and producer.

This has more of a retro 80s hipster feel, so in that sense there is some potential appeal. But for that segment the Loire or Languedoc is a better fit, especially price wise.

If I pay that much for Burgundy, I want it to be consistently good. Ponsot does not fit the bill.

For the win!

it would certainly stand out on a wine shelf.
Fugly.

Wow, the French have a storied history of terrible wine labels, but this is some next-level stuff!

Ponsot13…Houston we have a problem

The bottle uncorks itself -elon musk