Is it legitimate to post about expensive wines?

If you would have said that in the OP it would have made a lot more sense. newhere

My quote is from the first sentence of the last paragraph in the OP.

Excellent, we are moving into argument.

I can just feel the midi-chlorian levels surging.

But, I wanted to see what the board thinks. Is there a line that should be drawn.

Howard - if I didn’t know better I’d think you were chanelling someone who’s no longer here. Troll thread right?

What if the consensus was that yes, a line should be drawn and people should be ashamed to post about anything that cost more than $107.99 according to the best worldwide Wine Searcher price in today’s dollars?

Would we require that any note be introduced with an apologia?

Who cares? And who cares if people don’t like the tone because the poster seems to “snarky” or insensitive or entitled or whatever else constitutes the mortal sin of the moment?

People should post whatever they want to, whether it’s about expensive wine that isn’t worth the money or expensive wine that may possibly be worth the money or too many wines consumed or bottles half-finished because they want the world to know that they can do those sorts of things. If people don’t like it, they’re free to feel offended for themselves, or my favorite - to feel offended on behalf of someone else they may not even know. Worrying about causing offense to overly sensitive souls shouldn’t be the guiding principle of our lives.

People should post whatever they want. Everyone is free to read or ignore any thread or any post. [cheers.gif]

Anyone should be able to post about any bottle they consumed. If it’s boasting and obnoxious, so what. If they can drink Screagle with Coke, so what. If their per diem is more than your annual income, so what. Board participants come here by choice, click on threads by choice, read those threads by choice, post threads by choice. If your feelings are hurt because of what someone posted remember that comparison is the nemesis of contentment. Then grow the hell up. Some have more, some have less and life isn’t fair. Get over it. Drink and enjoy wine, find those on the thread with whom you can relate and share similar experiences if you have no desire to see others with their inaccessible-to-you bottles. I don’t own any first growths, don’t own any huge name burgs, and can’t afford Screagle or even to stay on Harlan’s list. But why would I ever hold someone’s ability to afford and drink those–regularly–against them? In the end, the question of “who cares?” comes to mind. Why would someone else’s consumption of something you can’t afford affect you at all?

Um, personal point of privilege: John/Dallas/He:Him: the persons who imbibe things I cannot afford trigger my anxiety and so, um, can everyone change their behavior to, um, ensure that precious me isn’t triggered?

Post what you wanna post. I love reading some Bacchanalia threads.

OK, I think this has been fully vetted. Everyone is in favor of posting whatever you want to post (I suspect even the authors of the posts Howard singled out, which don’t seem to complain about such posts at all).

We good?

ditto

I host a CellarTracker offline featuring some seriously high-end wines each year. I’ll post notes and pics; people don’t have to read the thread. I post other notes as well.

Some of us enjoy wines at all price levels.

I stopped posting on Squires about the OTT lunch we had every year. Inevitably by post 5 or 6, someone would say that we should not be drinking so many great wines, and Somehow they managed to inject moral indignation and that we were committing some sin. No need for extra grief I decided, get enough from my cat.

More respectful here; we did a minor version this year, which resulted in some lively debate. The thread with 5 people and 23 wines was a train wreck. Sad.

Excessibe balla wines are kind of the life blood of a diverse wine BB. It’s a little like “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous” except there’s no Robin Leach and it’s a more select group of viewers and participants. The “wannabees” want to see how the rich & famous live…and the rich & famous, to some extent, enjoy being seen living large. Part of me is indignant at the excess while being fascinated by the exclusiveness and the caliber of the trophies. It’s a tricky balance to share the joy without appearing ostentatious and garish. Some excessibe threads will inevitably devolve in to train wrecks…which can be entertaining in themselves…RIP Alan. At some level, all true wine geeks are curious about the “best of the best”. There aren’t many other places to read about those wines and interact with the tasters themselves. That can’t happen if the consumption is kept secret.

RT

[thumbs-up.gif]

Since so many have turned into Balla Bottles the more feedback the better.

Let’s hope. And you’re right, the posts Howard singled out don’t even remotely address the idea that it’s not “legitimate to post about expensive wines,” yet two dozen posters have still risen to defend him against that charge that was never leveled in the first place, so I guess this all worked out in a 2019 social media kind of way.

anyone who is upset about the second thread is off base. Like Neal mentions above, Im not a huge fan of the 4 balla bottles per person at a lunch thing either, especially when some of the bottles at them could be the focus of entire meals in their honor, but if you have the resources and the access… more power to you and please share plenty of details!

you can open them and pour them down the drain if they are your wines, as many as you want, IMO. Or post on them.

And for a summary of the world in which we live:

yet two dozen posters have still risen to defend him against that charge that was never leveled in the first place, so I guess this all worked out in a 2019 social media kind of way

Awesome!
[rofl.gif]

So true!

Most bizarre thread since Alan Eden died.

Someone needs to step up and take his place.

Exactly what I was thinking - Howard is either channelling Alan Eden, or is applying for the job he vacated. [snort.gif]

Hey Howard: how do you look in a black hat? [wink.gif]