Is a thirty five year old Remy Cognac, in a Baccarat lead decanter, safe to drink?

I’ve a 70’s era Louis XIII. Haven’t touched it yet. Not sure if I will.

I am really curious as to what her answer will be…assuming she calls you back.

Bring that bad boy out here, I’ll get a test kit and we’ll do some science experiments and see what we come up with. I’ll have Port ready as a warmup, backup, and snack in between [drinkers.gif]

Called again, this time asked for brand manager. No response as of yet, but interestingly have received several e mails, from people with a similar bottle.

Nothing from NY, so called Remy in France. Have to say my French is pretty good at 8:30 in the morning. It deteriorates rapidly during the day unless there is wine to help. I did struggle with the word 'lead" but thanks to the Internet was able to find the French word Plomb. Very nice lady from client services asked me to send photos which I did. She will get back to me.

Mark
Let us know. And sad their local folks won’t talk to you. Not very good customer service.

Andy,
didn’t know you were a cognac fan.

While I sure as heck don’t drink as much cognac or whiskey as I do Port. I do enjoy a good glass or two of them.

Here is a video of making the Baccarat Louis XIII - The Incredible Workmanship Involved Hand-Crafting a Louis XIII Cognac Baccarat Crystal Decanter

All I can afford is the empty bottle ! [cry.gif]

My wife and I inherited a beautiful antique lead crystal spirits decanter, and I’d really love to use it when serving Scotch or the like to guests. Based on this, it appears it’s best to pour the bottle in right before service, enjoy, and then pour the remaining amount back into the bottle. It’s too bad.

I would think an antique decanter that has been filled and emptied for years would have all the lead leached out that’s going to be leached. But I’d still want to test it.

Have you heard anything on this yet?

Yes, did get a call from Remy US. Short answer is they don’t know.

I’m calling BS. A company that big has their own in house testing equipment and enough old stocks for back testing. Translated…That means they know something they don’t want to tell.

Let’s take a sample and send it off for testing. I’d chip in for that.