Is 96 the best Bordeaux vintage of the 90's (90 excluded)?

Yes.

Leoville Las Cases
Ducru Beaucaillou
Pichon Baron

The first 1996 I would purchase to backfill would be Pichon Lalande. The Ducru is also really good.

Thanks,
Ed

For the $$$, 1996 Sociando Mallet.

Tracking it down . . . .

You know I love this estate.

Looks like some easy consensus on some other buys. Thanks guys.

Perhaps Charlie will PM me on the 96 Pichon he found in Tampa and not steal it all! :wink:

Love the 1996 Ducru.

My son was born in 96. Went long on Left Bank and Champagne. Lucky in retrospect. Love the Lynch Bages. Ducru, Picon Lalande, Cos, and Poyferre are my favorites as well.

I’ve had mixed results with Cos, from a case bought at auction about ten years ago. There have been good bottles but also (and probably more) ho-hum ones. GPL, in contrast, has been uniformly great.

I really like 1996, but how about a vote for 2000 (technically in the 90s)?

As much as I like the 96 GPL, the 1995 is clearly better.

You can argue that 2000 is in the same decade as 1991-1999, but it is absolutely not “in the 90s.” The 90’s are 1990-1999.

Them’s fightin’ words (he says as he reaches for wine searcher).

Interested in why you think so (with the admission that i’ve not had the 95 but have had plenty of the 96 - just trying to get a read on qualitative differences).

Thanks.

I had great experience with Bordeaux 96s - they’re certainly are more cost-effective in my view…

For the left bank wines I´d say: yes.
For right bank I woulod opt for 1998.

I´d say: No … although I like the ´95 GPL.

96 for me is by far the best vintage on the left bank at least, and among my favourites are Pichon Lalande,Montrose,Haut Brion,Latour,Palmer and Grand Puy Lacoste

Don´t forget Pontet-Canet … flirtysmile flirtysmile

The first Growths are definitely better in 1996 than 1995 with the exception of Haut Brion.

LLC, Ducru, Cos, Montrose, Calon, Pichon - I preferred '96.

I preferred the LMHB and L Barton from 1995.

Wine fight! [pillow-fight.gif]

Both GPLs are great wines, but the 95 has more depth of fruit and a bit better balance for me than the 96. That said, the 1996 will likely hit peak before the 95, but that day is not that far off any more for either vintage.

A fun blind tasting theme (I’m sure its been done before, but these wines are reaching maturity): select 5 or 6 chateau Left Bank Bordeaux that did well in both vintages, get a bottle of each vintage, and go head-to-head in blind flights of two. Here’s my dream 95 v 96 line up (Firsts excluded):
-GPL (advantage 95)
-Pichon Lalande (slight advantage 96)
-Leoville Las Cases (slight advantage 96)
-Cos d’Estournel (slight advantage 95)
-Pontet Canet (even)
-Calon Segur (slight advantage 95)
-Ducru-Beaucaillou (slight advantage 96)

I find both vintages to be solid but nothing extraordinary…they bore me to death to be honest… I’d rather find some other regions in those years, and have fun with 98 pessacs and Pomerol
Obvious exceptions exist, but I like my 95 rights better and I’m undecided on left bank. They both make some solid drinkers but I think some top 95’s might be killer with some additional time… But then again, California had some killer years in the 90s.

And considering the yuminess factor of 85s and their availability in France, I’ll take those instead.

I prefer 1995.