Irancy

Man, that’s far north!

Scott Brunson
(Online)
Subscriber

Irancy
Post #1 Postby Scott Brunson » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:02 pm
Anyone know if Dauvissat adds a little César to their bottling?

If they add a little cesar to the wine it goes great with pizza.

Learned something new today…thanks!

The 2015 Richoux Irancy is an outstanding QPR.

A rustic, earthy, stemmy, sappy fruited bottle of goodness. Almost a cross between a gamay and a pinot. Closes with a slight tincture of bitterness (iodine?) that is intriguing. Drinking this side by side with the 2018 Roilette Fleurie that I opened last night. This is better, I’d down-score the Roilette on this second night. The lower acid in this vintage was much more notable, especially next to this Irancy, which incidentally also comes from a rather ripe year for the region.

Can you please PM me where you bought this? I’ve been looking for this wine since I tasted the 2010; which I bought on a road trip & cant recall the store’s name.

Thanks in advance!

It was a Crush offering but from some time back. It’s gone. I checked, wanted more. Just grabbed a four pack.

there’s a case sitting at The Wine House in LA.

The 2013 is also showing really well right now, btw. On my last visit, I bought bottles of the 2015 and magnums of the 2013 and am very pleased with both. In due course, look out for the lieu-dit bottlings. Thierry’s importer has some in 2014 and 2012 by the look of it: Thierry Richoux - The Source At some point, Thierry will be releasing a micro cuvée from vines trained “sur échalas” and cultivated by hand, which look like this:

Thierry Richoux in his Irancy vineyards by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

A recommendation specifically for you, Robert, given your affinity for what used to be called “French country wine”, would be William Charriat’s wines. They are the most old fashioned Irancy wines I have tasted, where the thick layers of tannin and extract are as much part of the flavor as the fruit. You can feel them cleaning out the arteries with every sip. The 2011s are very good. Weygandt imports.

Looking at a couple of other producers in the village, Cantin’s wines are lovely, and in a somewhat more polished style while retaining plenty of character. And a new small négoce operation is Maison de la Chapelle, which is owned by Grégory Viennois, Laroche’s winemaker: a more modern style, but very nicely done.

To give you a sense of why Irancy really doesn’t “follow the rules”, you can see in this photo what an amphitheater it is. So it very much has its own mesoclimate, and vintages such as e.g. 1998 and 2011 that let’s say have limitations elsewhere in Burgundy can end up being banner years for Irancy.

Irancy by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

The other main crop of the village was, historically, cherries; and you can tell wine is doing quite well just now, as there are fewer and fewer cherry trees left every time I visit. But the effect, at this time of year, is very picturesque, and I am sorry that I likely won’t be able to visit this Spring.

Irancy and cherries by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

And smells terrible if not fully ripe - it made a massive (+ve) difference to 2017 Irancy - so much more colour and body than the ‘pure’ pinot wines - to the young wines that had some included. I mention ‘young’ because Guilhem Goisot is definitely not a fan, because he says that it can be okay young, but that age brings absolutely nothing of value to césar wines.

Necrothread [cheers.gif] champagne.gif
Thanks Bill

Awesome post @WilliamKelley. Love the pics!

Checking out that reco. I buy from Weygandt.

William- Thanks for those wonderful pics. I visited Richoux a few years back (terry was in the fields and I didn’t see him personally) and not only was it an interesting visit, it is a fantastically beautiful area. Anyone who is out that way, I also recommend a drive to Guedelon Castle. It is an awesome attraction.

Seconded! Took the family there last Fall, and aside from the historical attractions the blanquette de veau at the cafeteria was more than creditable.

I just googled that, a pretty cool project to build a castle from scratch using all medieval techniques.

1 Like

has anyone tasted the goisot les mazelots? i am very familiar with the whites but i can’t seem to recall ever trying the irancy.

Guedelon Castle just got added to my bucket list for the next time I head over the pond.

As a side note - the Crush offer was last July (i purposely skipped it since the Bedrock offer was right around the corner and I had just stocked up on Bdx). After reading this thread I now have missed-wine-offer-envy, if that’s such a thing.

TW

William would you happen to know anything about their Cremant de Bourgogne? This thread just reminded me that I had an excellent bottle at a champagne bar in SF a while ago, from a bottle marked “Gabin et Felix Richoux”…

Thierry turned over the family business to his sons Felix & Gabin a few years ago, so they are on the label. Same enterprise. But I never tried the Crémant.

1 Like

Yes. It’s called WOE.

WOE is me for missing that dang offer!

I’ve only had the '15, but it was very impressive. Bought 4 bottles and drank them all in a couple of months.