International Driving Permit

Used it once in 25+ years of travel in a remote area in southern Italy for a traffic checkpoint.

Got one when I first drove overseas in 1991 and then not again until this year because of this thread (coincidentally for the Piemonte each time). Never needed it but only stopped once (in the Czech Republic). For a little bit of time and minor expense it is worthwhile insurance.

After being told I need one with Europcar to rent this year. I didn’t.

Just got back from Spain, car rental didn’t need an international license but they stated it was needed if I got pulled over by law enforcement, so glad I had it for peace of mind.

As a side note, Enterprise offered me an upgrade to a diesel Mercedes that was an auto instead of a manual compact that I had reserved through Costco travel for a nominal fee. I gladly accepted since my wife can’t drive a manual and I knew I would be having wine with dinner. So glad I accepted and Costco travel includes a free second driver. First time driving a diesel. Color me impressed, gas mileage was amazing. I might consider a diesel in the future for my next car.

I ended up with a Mercedes B210 automatic through Avis last summer; also diesel. I agree that mileage was amazing. 900km to the tank!

I don’t tend to hire car overseas much but have done so on few occasions in Italy and France and again last month in Ireland. I find driving on the opposite of the road in in Europe a bit demanding. Hence, Ireland was easy as the driving was on the same side as UK or Australia.

I always have a IDP - just in case. Never been pulled over by cops as yet. But its like taking out a life insurance …and hoping not to use it.

Big thanks to this thread. I had never heard of an IDO before reading about it here. Decided to pick one up before leaving for a Italy recently.

First day in the car driving through a small Tuscan town, an officer walks into the street and motions me to pull up next to a parked police vehicle. He asks for “my documents”. I produce my ID and ask if there is a problem. He says no, walks to his vehicle, hands it to his partner, who proceeds to check it out. A few minutes later, he returns my documents and sends me on my way.

Don’t know what they were looking for or if the outcome would have be different had I not had IDP but I’m very pleased not to have found the answer to the latter question.

Credits to WB and this thread for fine PSA efforts.

Did you just hand him your IDP or did he ask for Passport?

George

He did not ask for Passport.

Interesting. I’m in Italy now, with a rental car. Have never been stopped, so don’t know what happens if you don’t have the IDP. I would think that rental agencies would warn people if this is really a problem.

They do, well some anyway:
C94577BA-26C3-40DA-ABEB-79F84DF8294E.jpeg

I was asked for an IDP in Rome before I rented. (Hertz)

B.