Interesting thoughts about lack of corked Carlisle bottles

Like David and Sherri, I am hyper-sensitive to TCA. I have had >200 bottles, of which 1 was corked.

It has nothing to do with zin. I have had a similar number of Turley’s, and I experienced an unusually high incidence of corked bottles in a back to back spring/fall release a number of years ago. IIRC it hit about 20%

65 bottles consumed, going back to 2004 vintage. None corked.

This data involves so many bottles that it must be statistically significant. I think we may be on to something. What? I don’t know. Maybe Mike will visit and express an opinion.

By the way - my count is only my own bottles. I have had a few that other people contributed and none corked.

I never had a corked Carlisle, but I also rarely have had a corked California wine. Italian, you bet. Lots of them.

Well over 100 bottles of Carlisle consumed, probably closer to 200. I have had 1 corked bottle, a 2004 Carlisle Vineyard Zinfandel.

I’m having flashbacks to a certain online study that was happening here…

zero corked, probably about a dozen bottles…

Thought the same thing.

But as long as I am responding, I’ve had the pleasure of drinking 2 bottles of Carlisle, no TCA.

Lol. But in a fuzzy intuit way, Jay might be on to something. Carlisle corks are notably clean?

67 drunk since 2007 (and a bunch before CT) and not one corked bottle.

According to CT, 5001 TNs from Carlisle with 57 flawed wines. 1.1%. I’m super TCA sensitive and never had a TCA’d Carlisle out of probably 3-4 cases plus others.

I’ll go out on a limb and suggest that I have had well over 400 bottles of Carlisle since making the list in 04 or 05 - based on what I have in my cellar and the amount I buy a year. I don’t post to CT, or keep very detailed notes (who can when you drink that much wine), but I can’t ever recall having had a corked bottle - and I am relatively sensitive to the taint.

Yet another great thing about Mike, Jay, Kendall and their wines!

I have been happily following Mike and his wines since way back… I suspect I am one of the original mailing list folks. And he remains one of the few mailing lists I keep up with now as I head into my middle 60s, others include SQN, Maggie Harrison’s two Oregon projects, Sean Thackrey, and Paloma. I have had two bottles of Mike’s that were corked. I e-mailed him and both times he graciously gave me credit towards my next offering. No fuss no problem. Which tells me a lot about both his wine making and his character. Cheers, Bob

I’m another one very sensitive to TCA and I haven’t had a corked bottle of Carlisle out of 169 consumed. Seeing the numbers, that shocks but really pleases me.

Shouldn’t this be like not talking to a baseball pitcher during a no hitter? Stop posting about it so they stay so amazing!

In Cellartracker there are 54 tasting notes marked as flawed, that’s not necessarily bottles since multiple people could mark the same bottle as flawed. More than 6000 TNs

Here’s the Flawed list summarized by wine

There are over 6,000 tasting notes for Carlisle summarized by wine

That’s some data.

The guy is clean.

I thought of that as well, but here on Wineberserkers, we are constantly out there in search of truth . . . justice and the American Way.

Interesting data - especially because I looked at about half the flawed notes and probably 30-40% are VA or Brett or I don’t like it so I’ll call it flawed.

How do you do the “flawed” list, That is fascinating, because it allows the use of the CT database to analyze the flawed percentage by producer. Interesting tool, for example, when it comes to premox in white burgundy. Another great use for CT in furtherance of wine knowledge.

I didn’t realize there was a ‘flawed’ category drill down list.

Click on the following.

Advanced Search - Advanced Search - CellarTracker
Show Everyone’s (User cellar)
Tasting Notes (search within)
Flawed/defective (narrow Results by)

I also narrowed by producer and selected carlisle but for the burgheads, for example, you can narrow by subregion like cote du Beaune, type white, blah blah. You can add specific vintage or ranges.

CT Classic users are on your own, I not longer support past releases. neener