Interesting sticker - your thoughts?

It wasn’t meant to strike anyone as aggressive, and especially not “really aggressive!”. I made no negative comment on Lapierre (in fact I inferred the opposite that I consider Lapierre a premier producer, as I say it isn’t worth buying natural wines from another continent even IF it is a Lapierre). I believe my opinion is not completely unproven or uncommon and I surely heard it before I had enough of my own evidence to agree. You’re correct a sulfured version of the Morgon in question wouldn’t be the same, but neither are Stelvin vs. natural cork of the same wines even at 1 or 2 years past vintage of the same wine and I think most of us are over that by now. YMMV. [cheers.gif]

That’s the name I was trying to recall!

I actually find the opposite. I regularly taste blindly, and I’ve found I can very often tell the unsulfured wines. They have an aroma and flavor that reminds me of a dirty dishrag. I read somewhere someone describing it at mouse piss. It’s consistent across grapes and regions for me, though not in every low/no-sulfur wine. To me it robs the wines of the distinctive character of the grape and the locale.

Great idea. I haven’t done it side by side but, as I said, I’ve frequently been able to pick out unsulfured wines in blind tastings – and not in a good way – where the other wines were made conventionally.

I remember buying and enjoying Louis Martini Moscato Amabile back in the '70s. They still make it. It has lots of RS, so if a secondary fermentation took hold, there would be exploding bottles.

Chris, perhaps aggressive was a poor choice of words; I was just saying it was a strong stance!

Is that the wine they sold out of the cement, open-air vat?

IMG_3362.JPG
Admittedly a bit easier to do in Winter, but we keep it as close to 60 as the A/C will get us all year round

That is fantastic and appreciated. But I would bet your store is one of the exceptions to the general temperateness I have observed of other stores. (Caveat - I have never actually measured the temperature in any store, so it is quite possible I am way off base - but I do not think so).

The old Table & Vine when they were in Northampton had a large store they kept at a cool temperature too (the new one in Springfield is not as cool), you actually felt chilled looking around too long.

And before that, T&V was Big Y Wines in Northhampton. I think the (very large) wine section was kept in the 50s… a good place to shop on a warm summer day.

I have read on this forum the same thing.

The claim was that the Martini wines were more-or-less “pasteurized” at the winery, thus arresting the development (and deterioration) of many bottlings. This was offered as an explanation for why many of the non-vintage “bin-designated” wines on auction sites prove to be solid drinking +40 years later.

But, that’s because the wines weren’t kept stable. This sticker is warning people handling these wines that they need extra care. There’s living stuff in them that can take off and ruin the wines. >FRAGILE<

The point of doing a no sulfite wine is they show an extra dimension. If you were a winemaker and sensed one of your wines would show a degree of magnitude better without being dulled down by sulfite, wouldn’t that be tempting?

That would be so interesting.

I compared the two Lapierre bottlings a while back.

The “special” room at Table & Vine in West Springfield is still kept in the 50s.

Who applied the sticker? I could see the importer/distributor doing it to get ahead of possible return issues if they took the proper steps to get it to the retailer

Pardon my poor attempt at humor above.

Since the feaseability of a complete alternative distribution channel right to the glass for wine that require temps in the 50’s is unattainable at this point, how do the winemakers expect their clients to experience the new enhanced/extra dimension flavors and aromas undiminished?

I see this as a pathetic attempt by the winemaker to shift the burden of producing a reasonably stable and clean wine from him/herself to the consumer, who as pointed out many times above is generally not in control of the wine’s handling anyhow.

I have had at least a few dozen bottles of wine which either have specifically stated or are simply known to be made without sulfering and significant filtering, and while a few clearly did not survive the voyage, by and large they were fine, and I like quite a lot of them. I don’t have any sense that a wine made expressly to be unpreserved is inherently so fragile that it cannot survive normal handling and storage for at least a couple of years.