Impressions of IPOB NYC

Mike, was the Cobb you tried the 2012 Coastlands Vineyard: Old Firs Block?

Mike, I need to check.

Mike

It’s great to read your observations about this tasting. I was there in the afternoon and it’s too bad that we didn’t know that we’d both be there because it would have been nice to say hello to a fellow Berserker. Unfortunately, I might be one of those annoying note takers, but it really is part of my job and I do try to stay out of the way.

I agree 100% with your love of the Domaine de la Cote. Frankly, I enjoyed the entire range, but the Sta Rita Hills is an amazing value. When it came to Kutch (which I’m a fan of), it was the McDougall Ranch that thrilled me at this tasting.

In general, I found the ‘12s more to my liking than the ‘13s—but of course, they need more time in bottle.

As for Chards, were you not tasting them, or just not moved by them enough to want to talk about them? I really enjoyed the ’09 Wind Gap Woodruff vineyard, ’13 Sandhi Sanford & Benedict, and the ’13 Lutum Durell.

Alicia, glad you liked LaRue and Lioco wines. Those are two names I came across early on in their ventures–Lioco from a tasting at Burgundy Wine Company in Manhattan and LaRue at the West of West Festival in Sonoma County. Littorai and Ceritas and Kutch were more recent tastings for me. I also like some of Failla wines (first met Ehren Jordan at Nantucket Wine Festival several years ago when he appeared with David Hirsch and Andy Peay at a “Sultans of Sonoma” tasting.) I appreciate that the Failla wines are reasonably priced compared to some other Sonoma Coast wines. And Lioco, also, is reasonably priced.

Cross posting notes below.

Don’t know if it’s worthwhile cross-posting my notes from some of these wines tasted across the continent at FallTacular on the 22nd (total of 51 tasted by me), but what harm can it do? :wink:

(it’s not quite clear to me whether IPOB only was Pinot-Chard. FTR, the WOTD at Frank’s was the 2013 Rivers-Marie Theriot Chard)

"2012 Kutch Falstaff Pinot Noir

Frankie’s WOTY last year and now I see why (I haven’t opened any of mine yet). Ahhh–smells like luxury. Great strawberry, baking spices, touch of sandalwood and dusting of cocoa. Drinking really well already, zings around the mouth with very balanced and bright berry fruit. Nick of coffee grounds and potpourri at the back. Great wine, #4 today.

2014 Liquid Farm Vogelzang Rose

Wow–heady and heavenly aromas of watermelon, kiwi and citrus. Drinks light and fresh, cranberry snap, tangy but mists off the tongue at the end. The nose is the calling card here, but overall a big like for me, #10

2013 Liquid Farm Golden Slope Chardonnay

Mm–pineapple on pancakes? Orange blossom wafts up the glass too. Tasty frame, but I find this more structured and layered than the 2012 version. Guessed 14.2%, 14% listed. A bit jumpy right now but should settle down.

2013 Liquid Farm White Hill Chardonnay

aromatics have ginger and even a dash of cinnamon sugar for me, to go with white fruit. Not as precise and less drive than the 2012, but I like this version too, it show beautiful craftsmanship with citrus, apple, pink grapefruit and lilac. #9

2013 Liquid Farm Bien Bien Chardonnay

Flower/hibiscus and also a rather saline side, maybe even a small nip of motor oil? Fruit is citrus and unripe pineapple. Authoritative and with front and back bite, this needs the most time but does have explosive pineapple, melon and toffee sides. Try again in 2 years, could be terrific.

2013 Kutch Bohan Pinot Noir

Was excited to try this new SVD from Jamie. Earthy and even a little gamey at the start, cinnamon tinged raspberry comes through later. Good solid expression, cherry and earth mix, more time should smooth it out, but the whole cluster is showing itself at this point.

2013 Kutch McDougall Pinot Noir

I love McDougall anyway, but I am starting to understand why Jamie has said this is probably his best vintage yet. The sensational nose–perfume and cherry essence, all with some earth threading through. And on the tongue, this is potentially tremendous–so much flavoured, elegant power. Cherry and sweet herbs, raspberry. Not could–this will be stunning. #2 today.

2011 Copain Kiser en Haut Pinot Noir

Supercharged cola, cherry and plum bouquet for me. Le gout is a fine mix of zippy entry and cool follow. Blackberry tang at the back. A wine full of interest that should be better in 2 years.

2013 Kutch Falstaff Pinot Noir

An already refined set of aromatics, light spice and rose petal accent berry and citrus. Even so young, has a thrilling quality about it, length, purity of feel, red berry, watermelon and citrus. Dee-lish. #6. With my #2, 4 and 6, Jamie kicked it today.

2010 Big Basin Old Corral Syrah

Black cherry, dark plum, smoke and meat aromas. Rich to taste, but not over-rich, tons of pepper edgeing to plum and blackberry replays.

2012 Wind Gap Syrah

Reticent bouquet, I do get licorice and plum with some swirling. This has flow, but the fruit–blackberry, tart blueberry, plum–and black pepper are all broken up right now. Maybe comes together with time."

Ooh, nice to see the notes on Kutch. I attended the second seminar earlier in the day and Jamie Kutch was there with both of these wines to taste side-by-side. The theme of the seminar was for winemakers to present a wine they thought missed the mark against one that they thought hit it. While the others (Peay and Big Basin) compared vintages, Jamie chose to compare the vineyards. Apparently both vineyards are the same distance from the ocean and at the same elevation – only two miles apart from each other. Bohan’s vines are dry farmed, and were planted in 1973, while McDougall was planted in 1998 and uses drip irrigation. He called Bohan “shaggy” and he’s still learning from it. (The McDougall was the wine he was most pleased with). He says he’s already tweaked a few things for Bohan’s 2014 vintage.

Editing to add: Just wanted to answer your question – IPOB is strictly Pinots and Chards.

I’ve adored Lioco’s Indica blend for quite a while and I joked with Matt at the event that it’s my “Tuesday night wine,” and he said that’s how he thinks of it, too. I definitely appreciate his price points! His Chardonnay stood out among the many others I tasted, too. Seems like he’s a guy who can do no wrong.

Is anyone on here going to IPOB in SF?

If it isn’t crass to ask this question, how much does it cost to attend an IPOB?

OMG, how gauche!

The Consumer Tasting is $125. Other events are also $125 each.

One reason some wine events get scheduled on Mondays is Sommeliers and restaurant buyers have the day off :slight_smile:

I signed up for knez and ceritas. My biggest complaint was the Attendes how rude most people were was silly. One woman just pushed her way to the front and asked for their best wine.

We enjoyed and skipped many tables that mike mentioned and now I am kicking myself but even with me dumping I couldn’t do them all. Big basin was nice too and lioco were stand outs but we got physically accosted and moved on. I’m on the la rue list and was slightly disappointed but maybe had palate fatigue.

I signed up for knez and ceritas. My biggest complaint was the Attendes how rude most people were was silly. One woman just pushed her way to the front and asked for their best wine.

We enjoyed and skipped many tables that mike mentioned and now I am kicking myself but even with me dumping I couldn’t do them all. Big basin was nice too and lioco were stand outs but we got physically accosted and moved on. I’m on the la rue list and was slightly disappointed but maybe had palate fatigue.

The only reason I didn’t attend was because it was on a Monday, which is a tough night for me to get into the city and get home late. Otherwise, would have loved to.

I had no idea this was happening/had happened until reading this thread. I did see the IPOB 2015 thread but didn’t open it since I assumed it was on the west coast.

I attended this year, as I have for the last couple of years and enjoyed this year very much. I thought the 2013 vintage showed very well.

I didn’t take notes, but Wineries I tasted were:

Big Basin Vineyards - 1st time tasting - liked them a lot
Ceritas - on the list - nice to get a sneak peak at the upcoming wines. I enjoyed them and will be buying again.
Chanin - 1st time with wine - enjoyable
Cobb - nice showing
Copain - very nice showing
Failla - okay showing
Hirsch - very nice showing
Kutch - nice showing
Liquid Farm - 1st time tasting wines - very nice showing
Lutum - 1st time - excellent showing
Matthiasson - very nice showing
Ojai - - very nice showing and a nice conversation with Fabien - always a pleasure
Peay - very nice showing
Red Car - they only had the rose of pinot by the time I got to them - I ended up buying a magnum of it. Good stuff
Sandhi - very nice showing
Wenzlau - okay showing
Wind Gap - excellent showing.

Favorites were: Wind Gap Sun Chase; Peay Pomarium; Red Car Rose of Pinot Noir; Lutum Gap’s Crown; Hirsch - special bottle - really nice!; Copain Kiser en Bas and Big Basin Lester Family.

Most of these wines were vibrant, had noticeable fruit and can be enjoyed in the near term. Some were spritzy, some had a touch sulfur, some had wonderful structure for long term aging. Some of the okay showing comments doesn’t mean the wines aren’t good. They just didn’t show as well as the others. I would happy with most of these and I think the quality of wines coming out of California continually get better or just fit my palate. [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the notes, Alex. Seems this style is right up your alley! (Mine, too!)

I am still iffy on if I should drive down to the Houston event. I would need to stay overnight and it would cost me two vacay days…

Wind Gap Sun Chase, Copain Kiser En Bas, Big Basin Lester…Alex, say more, as you have my curiosity here. What attracted you to these three?

It should have been about 12.5% [snort.gif]