Importer of Joh Jos Prum. How to buy on release?

I can’t wait to try some of these other suggestions like Emrich-Schonleber, Keller, etc. Brian Stotter sent me a great list of other producers as well. It will take a little bit of time to try them all, but I think I am up to the challenge :slight_smile:. I have had Dr. Loosen, Dr Heidemanns , and some of the other more easily accessible Rieslings, but definitely haven’t even navigated past the tip of the ice burg.

John- Thanks for verifying that for me. I was mostly aware distributors don’t typically sell to consumers, but I honestly wasn’t fully sure. I didn’t know if there was a specific retailer or store that I should stick to for Prum and other Rieslings or if there was another method I was unaware of as a relative newby. Everyone has been very helpful.

There are a few stores around that have a good selection of German wines. One is in DC called MacArthurs Liquors. Their German wine “guy”, Phil Bernstein really knows German wines and is very passionate about them. Another store that has a good selection of German wines is Crush in NYC. I think Flickingers in Chicago used to have German wines, but I have not looked for a while.

If you want to stick with Mosel wines, a couple of my favorites other than Prum are Schloss Lieser and Reinhold Haart. Keeping in a somewhat similar theme, but a bit cooler and even more precise, go to the Saar and the Ruwer and try Zilliken and von Schubert (Maximin Grunhaus). Having read Brian’s posts for a while, my guess is that he recommended some of these, in addition to other producers. Going outside the MSR, I had a very nice Spatlese last night from Schafer Frohlich from the Nahe.

1 Like

Thanks so much Howard! I would really love to try Rieslings from all different vineyards and areas of Germany. I am interested in trying all of these at some point. I will keep you posted on which ones I find and try. Thanks again for being so kind to list these for me and for sharing these places to look for Rieslings.

Where are you in Indiana? I am west of Indianapolis. Feel free to send me a private message.

PM me. I may be able to help.

You may want to be proactive and speak with stores about special ordering, especially if you are looking for specific bottlings. Most of the time retailers are offered a list of wines they can pick from once their importers have compiled their orders for their territory. There may be 6-8 weeks to potentially get orders in before they arrive, depending, and there may be some wines that don’t sell through or are more common that are considered ‘stock’ items they intend to have on hand. But for more limited or highly rated items, the numbers are finite, and if the distributor gets 20 cases of something for say the Chicago market and 20 accounts order a case each off the pre-arrival, that’s it. They can’t go back for more. If you get with a retailer about these wines before they are offered, they can let you know when and what is being offered. They may only pick up 2-3 labels for the store to carry based on what works for them cost or interest-wise, but you may be able to get 3-4 other things for yourself.

Some 2018 JJ Prum just got listed at K&L Wines for special order. Wines will be available within a week. Pricey though. Hoping they pop up at other local stores for less.

https://klwines.com/Products?filters=sv2_NewProductFeedYN%24eq%241%24True%24ProductFeed%24!dflt-stock-all&orderBy=NewProductFeedDate%20desc&limit=50

My 2019 offer is in the pipeline…coming soon…

How did those sell out at those prices? WS spat for $50? Wine.com is cheaper and they don’t exactly list bargain prices.

[wow.gif] champagne.gif

My 2019 offer is in the pipeline…coming soon…

[worship.gif] [worship.gif] [worship.gif]

I was wondering the same thing. I looked at it and is seemed a bit pricey for what I have purchased recently. K&L doesn’t ship to me anyways :frowning:

Cutting Edge Selections in Cincinnati is the distributor for JJ Prum. They distributed for Rudi Wiest and now for the German Wine Collection, the current importer. I’m sure they could hook you up with a retailer who could get in what you want. I don’t get out to local retailers much any more but I used to buy Prum at The Party Source in Bellvue, KY.

It was over a year ago that Rudi retired. Some of his brands are carried by GWC and his sales manager works for them now. Other brands were lost, but the company i work for in NC jumped on the chance to import directly and got Pfeffingen.

Ooh…Scheurebe!

Kahn’s fine wines carries German wines. They are in Indiana. I don’t see Prum but I see Haart, Lieser, Richter, and Zilliken. Nothing fancy but maybe they can order Prum for you

1 Like

Thanks Brian. I do need to write to them and let them know I am interested in purchasing Prum if their distributor offers it. I love going to Khan’s and picking up a case of assorted bottles. I haven’t found any other stores in Indy that come close to Khan’s in terms of selection. I went about a month ago and picked up an assorted case with the 4 you listed above. Great minds think alike! I did ask the associate about Prum and they said they have carried some in the past, but don’t have any recent plans to carry it. I just talked to an associate so I will need to talk to the manager/owner about ordering. I will definitely write them just to let them know that there is interest in the area.

I actually received a lot of help from individuals on here and was able to pre-order through website/store run by a member on the boards. I will likely just continue to order from him each year as he seems to have a great reputation on here and offers a great selection. I don’t mind having it shipped, but wouldn’t mind having someone in state that carried Prum.

Bob G- Thanks for the information. I will definitely look them up and get a hold of them about any prior vintages they may have access to.

Kahns has Prum most vintages but it sells out eventually. It doesn’t fly off the shelf though.

1 Like