Important vs. Unimportant tastings

So, basically, you’re saying try to marry up. Gotcha. [cheers.gif]

Oh wow- just noticed this.

For my part, I think this may have been the first time I ever used the term “Important” in the title of a tasting thread. And no snobbery intended- though in retrospect I can see how that could be inferred.

The reference had to do with the depth of the tasting and the degree of insight it provided. I might say the same if a horizontal tasting was of sufficient breadth. It is not intended to say the tasting is better than other tastings- but to reflect the degree of learning that it conferred. I am a big fan of Chateau Magdelaine, but seeing so many vintages side by side had a profound impact on my understanding of the vineyard and just how long-lived the wines are built to be.

I have attended tastings that had a far greater bottle count and/or a much higher market value, but they did not confer the degree of insight that a carefully focused tasting like this can do with respect to the narrow focus that is the tasting’s theme.

That said, the jabs are well-merited and accepted in good spirit.

Kudos for that! I truly did laugh out loud!

You know my motto, sniff it and move on.

[drinkers.gif]

i’m far more interested in when it’s ok to refer to yourself in the third person in your thread title [scratch.gif]

Glad to hear that, as the urge to razz you was irresistible! [cheers.gif]

It depends on your importance.

so it’s kind of the same type of issue?

Actually, it’s an issue of different types.

wines that make you think and jot down a response are considered important to me. It can be a single digit priced wine or a triple+ digit priced wine. I would love to see more tasting notes on this site about more accessible wines. Those of you posting unicorn wine notes please don’t stop either.

I know an elite cyclist that refers to himself in third-person, but using his nom de guerre. Is that the height of self-importance and delusion?

Owl have to think that over.

Oh that’s easy - important tastings have imported wines, such as Bordeaux.

Unimportant tastings have domestic wines, such as California syrah.

This is like an SAT trick question or something!

Can you have trick questions on SUN, MON, or TUES too?

I thought this had come about because the French word for important actually has a broader meaning - i.e. some posters with French as their first language have transliterated their thread titles and hence ended up with “An important tasting of…” when a more appropriate translation might have been “extensive” or “significant” or some such. As French is not even my fourth language, perhaps somebody who knows more can chime in :slight_smile:!

Since the genesis of this thread was one started by Tom Reddick, whose first language, I’m pretty sure is English, I don’t think this is a matter of mistranslation.

John - but when Tom did that, I assumed it was in homage (hommage :wink:?) to previous thread titles.

Objection. Texas.

Ouch.

[cheers.gif]