Imagining a short “universal” restaurant wine list

I don’t want to tease Robert about retirement. He seems sort of schizophrenic on the subject - one post he loves being a lawyer and wants to do it forever, the next he is ready to junk it to start coming up with restaurant wine lists (or riding bikes or buying art and watches - I guess he does have to work longer). To be fair, this sounds a lot like I was and like every attorney I know is.

But, my time has to do more with the fact that we have these horrible things in the DC area called winter and rain, rain and more rain (2018, my first year of retirement, is the wettest year on record). Really has put a cramp in my golf game.

Those can’t be retail prices on Michael’s list, can they? I thought they were marked up to restaurant prices? I’d be in his place drinking Krug on a regular basis if that’s the case.

I’m enjoying Howard’s retirement and the lack of golf weather. It’s afforded him plenty of time to put together a list with lots of stuff I’d like to try.

They are except I forgot to write 375 for the krug

David, of course, you are right . . . I saw the Krug at $200 which “seemed” like it could be retail and was not familiar with most of the others to check them out. Careless of me, a momentary pause in my normal laser-like focus! I REALLY like his wine list now that I know how reasonably priced it is. (P.S. Michael, still feel free to use me as a reference for future wine list gigs, I will try not to embarrass myself!)

Thanks, although I would rather be playing golf.

Actually, I thought I didn’t need a Cab Franc because I thought I had Robert covered with the Cantemerle. Maybe if I had added Sociando Mallet …

However, I wanted to have at least one less expensive wine in every category and I thought the 2014 Patache d’Aux was pretty good. Tasting of Wines from the Crus Bourgeois du Medoc - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

To me, one of the great failings of wine lists in restaurants is really good wines from Bordeaux and Burgundy that are not that expensive. I tried to include some.

Ha, I have too much ADHD, and need to bill hours, to come up with a thoughtful list of 25! I’ll just read ya’lls for a shopping list. Perhaps I’ll delegate the task to a sychophantic associate after the holidays.

And my retirement, ha, who the heck knows. I just cut a deal with one of my 72-year old partners that still has a ton of juice, and told him, “don’t leave”. I meant it. That generation and my generation of lawyers work much differently than the generation behind us. Not a criticism, just a (generalized) statement of what I see in my role.

And PS. The Sociando would be nirvana on a menu. Cannot recall if I have ever seen it.

What IS it about attorneys? They earn money up the wazoo but then cry about the life they have made? I’ll never understand it, but I never see them trading places and giving it all up, so the lucre wins.

Not really, you need a cab franc. And from the Loire, not Bordeaux. They are super food friendly and cheep.

Golden handcuffs.

So, tried to follow criteria but really just my ideal list in a random not-splurge restaurant. Wines I’d jump on at 2/2.5X retail pricing (none should be over $40 retail)

Sparkling
Castellroig Cava
Foreau or Pinon Petillant
Taittinger NV

Rose
Edmunds St John Bone Jolly
Terrebrune Bandol Rose

White
Drouhin St Veran (someone already listed, solid choice)
Pepiere Briords
Collestefano Verdicchio di Matelica
Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenburg Kab
Pinon Vouvray
Mt eden Chardonnay
Trimbach Gewurztraminer

Red
Barou St Joseph
Baudry Chinon
Produttori d B Langhe Nebbiolo
Felsina CCR
Ch. Lanessan