I'm DONE - Aldi Advent Calendar - or 24 Days of Cheap Wine

Love this thread…keep it going. We saw this but were way too late to get it…great marketing idea for Aldi…I’m sure it will be bigger next year. We did get an advent calendar of cheese from a local artisanal cheese shop. Three for three delicious…but wish I had a wine calendar to go with it.

Genius idea, Paul. Thank you!

I guessing a South American gem next to keep the Southern Hemisphere theme going or could it be a Pinotage from South Africa?

Day-4 Pinot Grigio
Italy
12%

IMG_3215.JPG
Nice, fresh, clean aroma. Some pectin flavors, bordering on pears. A little dirt and minerality (maybe that’s the spice). Just not very crisp (maybe that’s the hazelnuts). IMO Pinot Grigio can be hit and miss, and is seldom a “great” wine. My expectations are usually not very high. However, with a little air and food, was more approachable. This is not a bad wine, but most definitely not great. This is squarely a generic white wine. If you’re needing a cheap white to serve that won’t be objectionable, this could be it.

IMG_3218.JPG
IMG_3220.JPG

Perhaps the problem is that you are using high quality glassware. Maybe try a tumbler? :slight_smile:

Trying to give these wines every chance to shine

I heart this thread

I definitely appreciate that. BUT, my experience is that nice glassware with mediocore wine tends to emphasize the… mediocrity. It is like a forest that has some clear cut – from a distance it looks fine, but when you zero in, it looks terrible…

Tomorrow I’ll test the hypothesis.

Merlot.jpg
Day-5 Merlot
Chile - Valle Central
12.5%

Popped and poured; no decant. Pretty red color. Some dark and red fruits on the nose. Fruit-forward wine, blackberry, blueberry. Some earth notes, a bit dusty. First of the wines with some nice acidity, although a bit of a bite (maybe it needs to be decanted?). This is the best wine so far. Nothing complex about it, nice quaff. Could probably serve this at a party with no complaints.

I am I guess serious, but don’t think you need to be that serious! :slight_smile:

On a serious note, I appreciate how you are treating these wines seriously. It would be quite easy to make fun of the whole thing. But it seems that some are not terrible – i,e, the most recent Merlot.

Thanks again for doing this, It is both informative and entertaining.

Edit – I see the bottles do not say anything about the wine maker/winery. Is that information available, or do you just know that it is Chile, etc.

Honestly, the information on the back of the bottles is all there is. Nothing about winery, winemaker, vineyard, AVA, etc. That’s it. One of my disappointments is that they are all labeled Festive Collection. If I were to like one of them, I’m not sure I could find it in the store.

1 Like

Perhaps that is intentional, and the collection is presented as a way to enjoy this season in a non-commercial way, not as advertisements for future wine purchases. Why not think of it as the “Festivus” Collection. Open the 24th bottle with an “airing of grievances”.

1 Like

I am glad you are taking it serious too; good to know the Merlot does not need decanting.

The only thing this thread is missing is a photo of a dirty toilet for pouring the wine out.

1 Like

I’m really enjoying following this.

Yeah this is just an awesome thread.

I think I enjoy reading this almost as much as my kids enjoy eating the candy from their advent calendars every day :wink:

[dance-clap.gif]

Shiraz.jpg
Day-6
Shiraz
Australia
12.5%

If you served this to me blind, I would have guessed a California Zin. Maybe I’ve had too many over-the-top Shiraz from Australia, or too many impersonating Cabs. This is definitely not a Mollydooker Shiraz (maybe I should have shaken it).

Some tart red fruit on the nose. Flavors of brambly fruit, blackberry, raspberry. Spice and pepper, definitely a spicy wine. Somewhat tight, tart, austere. Thinner purple color than the previous reds.

This is actually not a bad wine, if you’re looking for a substitute to a $12 Zin.

I just saw this thread – great idea! I am bummed I missed out on the opportunity to do a wine advent calendar, though I believe Costco has a beer advent and Binny’s has one with whiskey.

Will be following this thread with delight.