A TN I wrote from two years ago, DEC 2009 on the 85 Castello di Neive Riserva.
"1. 1985 Castello di Neive Barbaresco Riserva, cru “Santo Stefano”. Although Bruno Giacosa gets most of the glory for his “Santo Stefano” Barbaresco (and it is fantastic), I have always found the owner’s of the cru, Castello di Neive, to make just as good a Santo Stefano and at much lower prices. This was just a superb wine. Two things stood out to the crowd - first, the astonishingly vibrant cherry red color from core to rim, with no signs yet of yellow or orange, amazing for a 24 year old traditional style Barbaresco. Then a gorgeous, complex nose which reminded me of incense, with roses/violets and fine red cherry fruit. Great structure, lively, lean, barely tannic but excellent acidity. One of the best Barbarescos I have had in years, and maybe ever. Excellent condition. Grade: solid A/A+. "
These are the first two that jumped to my mind too. I had both an '05 Vajra Albe and '04 Massolino Vigna Rionda the other night, and they were both awesome. Painfully young, but awesome.
I don’t know that they’re Giacosa-like, but I’ve also fallen for Cavallato’s Barolos recently. Very traditional and super values!
FYI, they use roto-fermenters, so they’re actually sort of hybrid in terms of technique. I don’t think there are many producers who roto-ferment but don’t use barriques.
Hi John,the Rizzi Barbareschi have been lingering on my vision for several years,but for some reason I have never gone the extra step to look at them.
Could you please elaborate.
Thanks
Bill
This is why my first comment was that it depends on what Craig is looking to match. I assumed that he wanted a stylistically similar wine and to me, the di Gresy Barbarescos share a style with the Giacosas with age. Are they precisely the same? No. In the same region? For me, yes.
Can’t say that I’m quite as enthusiastic as John here. They are pretty wines, and improving, the 2007s and 2008s being notably strong performers, but style has evolved from one that was fairly simple and obvious, with the wines ageing not particularly gracefully. Though I have the feeling that the wines from 2004 will fare better than previous vintages; a vertical tasting several years ago strongly suggests enjoying these wines rather early, which is not what I associate with Giacosa’s style.
How about Sottimano? I think he interned at Giacosa for a while.
I know he uses a small portion of french oak, but based on my very limited experience, I could see some similarity in the gentleness of the wines and their level of extract. Certainly they are fine wines.
Roccalini. See my post near the top of the thread.
Wines are solid, not hitting the big highs yet, but showing great promise for a long, bright future. The family that owns the winery used to sell fruit to Giacosa too, hence where Scaglione comes in to the wine making picture.
Maybe I’m not understanding your post, but I’m assuming you are referencing the same way that Ken is, that there is no substitute for Giacosa?
I do have to respectfully disagree with you about your second statement though. While none of these show the deep, ripe power as many of Giacosa’s wines typically do (but how many do?), I think they skate that fine line of great power, but balanced with classic Barolo character.