If you could go back in time and collect one German riesling consistently over the years...?

Nothing to do with Riesling, but sure, since you asked

Lemon and chalk, citrus and mineral, lots of other structure and flavors. Light and delicate, but somehow robust all the same. This is just wonderful. Impeccable balance and great length. Played beautifully with crab cakes and orzo salad. The next day a bit was left which I drank at room temperature, just to see how it would taste. The palate was even more pronounced, only downsize was that being warm it was less refreshing.
11/8/20
Consistent

Posted from CellarTracker

“If you could go back in time and collect one German riesling consistently over the years…?”

Yes! Yes, I would. Way back.

I used to drink Donnhoff’s Felsenberg Trocken whenever I saw it when traveling in Europe. It wasn’t easy to find here in the states, but a really nice wine. Of course, now it’s pretty available as the GG, at twice the price.

Really? The 2001s are so spectacular. I bought almost three cases, still have 14 and wish I had bought more.

Crazy good, both Herrenberg and Abtsberg.

I wish I had bought more 1990 Merkelbach UW auslesen and spatlesen. I am down to my last auslesen. :joy:

Given that the Keller GG’s account for more than 50% of the German wine I own, I’m going to say that’s my answer. If I can’t have Keller then I’d choose Wittmann GG’s.

I wish I had cases of Prum WS Spatlese and Donnhoff OL Kabinett as far back as vintages can go.

Yes, really. I can’t remember if I’ve had any '01s, but know for sure I’ve been left completely cold by every bottle I’ve bought and every taste I’ve been given at dinners, including aged examples. Jonathan doesn’t like them either.

Schaefer-Frohlich GGs, particularly the Felseneck.

You have great patience. Mine are long gone.

My oldest Donnhoff left is one bottle of 1990 Oberhäuser Brücke Riesling Auslese and my oldest Prum is one bottle of 1993 Joh. Jos. Prüm Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese, I do have a bunch of Prums that are 15 years old or more.

The last year I really loved the wines. After that there were a few good bottlings here and there. Now the estate is just trash. So sad. Just under 2 cases left, and going fast!

Me too, love those pre-2002 Muller-Catoir.

And in general more bottles form 1990 and 1996 (and 1971 and 1976 and 1983!).

But overall, I haven’t found German Riesling hard to backfill — I was still reloading on 2001s in 2012 or later even at release pricing. But maybe this is starting to change, that prices are escalating?

I liked the 02 Christoffels as well. They’re no 2001 but still quite delicious. And at least through the 2008 vintage (I stopped paying attention pretty much thereafter), I didn’t notice the good critics like Schildknecht bombing on Christoffel or anything.

In Berserker fashion, I will abandon the OP’s rule of one:

Willi Schaefer Domprobst Kabinett
JJP W-Sonnenuhr Kabinett

Higher Pradikat:

JJP W-S GKA
I also very much like David’s HGS era Muller Catoir idea

The one I did not collect enough of and wish I did: Tim Frohlich’s Felseneck from Kabinett up to GKA. Truly privileged earth and terrific winemaking.

1 Like

Through about 2012 was applicable to my “here and there” assessment. Since then the wines are just lifeless.

I love Sonora, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t a huge wine shop there :slight_smile: I think Wine House, KL Wines, JJ Buckley all have great Riesling selections, and Woodland Hills Wine Company often has some great stuff too.

1 Like

J Rock! Reach out if you ever visit up here!

1 Like

Weingut Max Ferd Richter Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Mosel