If you could go back in time and collect one Bordeaux wine consistently over the years...?

Maybe sprinkle in a bit of various short to long term drinkers as well. Since you are a new world drinker, style preference should play a big roll as many more classical may not be in your wheel house. I myself went from all Napa to now a cellar 50/50 (with champagne 5-10%) so perhaps my palate might help. There are a million options between vintage and style variation it’s a fun world to taste and taste again. Highly recommend buying in best years as it more reflects a bit more fruit (nowhere near as much as Napa fruit and I am not referring to Napa fruit bombs rather in general) although higher prices. Sometimes still good right bank vintages but not great for example like 2014 may get you better pricing but you can always find great wines in off or more classical vintages.

Stacked by price and drink ability (futures or near release pricing):

Tour St Christopher $25-$35
D’Aiguilhe $25-$35
Marquis d’Alesme $35 - $45

Monbousquet $50 - $60
Beau Seju Becot $60-$70
Domain de Chevalier $50 - $75

Troplong Mondot $75 - $100
Cannon $100
Les Carmes Haut Brion $100
Smith Haut Lafitte $100
Rauzan Segla $100
L’elgise $75-$100

Valandraud $100 - $125
Pichon Baron $125 - $150
Belair Monange $150

Palmer $200-$250
Vieux Chateau Certan (VCC) $250
Trotanoy $275 - $300

If I was going to collect one first year growth and only one for my palate it would be Mouton but that is 100% palate specific. Having said that I would 100% suggest buying 2 VCC vs one first growth but again that’s just me. Hope this helps as there are 50 or so that I could have swapped names for but the above list is hard to go wrong.

Oh and one other note based on your 30 year later drinking comment
-make sure you like very old wine as it is a style you need to make sure you like as it has relatively little fruit and more earthy components and does take getting used to
-perhaps create a cellar that you can drink from now and after your 65 years old so you can enjoy the wines, see how they develop with time and make sure you even like what you have sitting and aging

Grand Puy Lacoste would be at the top of my list, Branaire Ducru and Leoville Barton also. If you like more modern styled wines, consider Clinet, Leoville Poyferre, Pontet Canet. All well under $100 per bottle.

1 Like

In order: Magdelaine, La Tour Haut Brion, Haut Bailly, DDC.

I have most consistently bought Leoville Barton, Branaire Ducru, Montrose and Lynch Bages over the years.

Pichon Lalande or Vieux Chateau Certan

1 Like

What are some of the older vintages that you suggest for Sociando? Particularly 80’s and 90’s.

****Pat Martin » Today, 4:08pm
In order: Magdelaine, La Tour Haut Brion, Haut Bailly, DDC.

La Tour Haut Brion does not exist, but a GREAT wine!!!

La Tour Haut-Brion 1982
La Tour Haut-Brion 1978
La Tour Haut-Brion 1975
La Tour Haut-Brion 1961
La Tour Haut-Brion 1953
La Tour Haut-Brion 1949
La Tour Haut-Brion 1947

LA TOUR HAUT-BRION

Pessac-Leognan, Bordeaux, France
Ownership-12.1 acres, 2,500 cases produced
Average age of vines, thirty two years
42% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Cabernet Franc & 23% Merlot

Haut Brion drops La Tour
April 4, 2007
Panos Kakaviatos in Bordeaux

Chateau Haut Brion has discontinued one of its oldest labels, La Tour Haut Brion.

Beginning with the 2006 vintage, the 5ha estate, which produced about 2,000 cases and was established in the Middle Ages as La Tour de Rostaing, has been incorporated into the estate’s other wines.

Wines made from vines averaging 21 years in age are now incorporated into the second wine of La Mission Haut Brion, La Chapelle de La Mission Haut Brion, ‘which explains the elevated amount of Cabernet Franc in the second wine,’ spokeswoman Turid Ancaras told decanter.com.

The decision was made to simplify the number of wines produced by Haut Brion’s owner Domaine Clarence Dillon, she said. ‘As the vines get older, we will probably use them also for La Mission Haut Brion.’

Critics at this week’s En Primeur tastings noted one immediate difference: the elevated amount of Cabernet Franc in the La Chapelle, about 28%, which ‘comes from La Tour Haut Brion,’ Ancaras explained.

It was not until the 19th century that the then owners of La Tour, the Cayrou brothers, added the name of ‘Haut-Brion’ to the wine. Records show that in 1850, Féret’s Wines of Bordeaux acknowledged the name of ‘La Tour Haut-Brion.’

The property was obtained by Domaine Clarence Dillon in 1983.

Wines tasted en primeur this year are the Haut Brion white and red, Haut Brion second wine Bahans Haut Brion, the Laville Haut Brion white, La Mission Haut Brion and its second wine La Chapelle de la Mission Haut Brion.

James Lawther MW said, ‘I can see the reason for it. It’s logical but slightly strange - it’s an illustration of how the Grand Cru system works that a Graves Cru Classe like La Tour Haut Brion can just disappear.’

La Tour Haut Brion would definitely be high on my list. Panos’ article omits the fact that, under the Woltner family, it was based on La Mission’s press wine, and consequently enormously age worthy.

But the reality of the contemporary Bordeaux market, with the young wines as expensive as twenty-year-old wines, means that the OP’s wish could be quite easily fulfilled retrospectively!

Very good advice. I’ve met several people that do not like aged wine, they have discovered they prefer bordeaux in the 8-15 year window. I bought some 1966 Cantemerle at auction to see if I liked old wine, turns out I do, but I also like the newer stuff. Imagine how horrible it would be in 25 years to start opening some wine and realize you don’t like it. That would suck.

Cheval Blanc and La Mission Haut Brion

I really like 1990, 89 and 82, and 88 and 86 are nice, too. Just had an 88 last two weeks, it was quite good. I’d chase 2001 as well.

The sleeper Sociando is 1998, I have three cases.

La Mission at the higher end, Malescot-St. Exupéry, Meyney, and Gloria for value

1 Like

When I got out of the Army in 2005 I could have bought 2002 Leoville Barton for $28/bottle. If I could go back to 1997 when I turned 21 and start buying anything…it would be Keller. Back when I could have visited the winery during a weekend from 1997 - 2000

Not to be a pain…but what do you mean fulfilled retrospectively? Are there great deals on old Bordeaux right now? If so, where? Really just asking:)

Seriously good advice. Honestly, my old wine experience has been scattered. I have had some random 90’s Bordeaux’s like cantemerle, Pichon, etc. The most memorable bottle was a 1955 Latour…which was interesting. The most interesting part to me was the acidity and secondary flavors (graphite/saline). It was good though. I think I would like aged Bordeaux more and more because I simply only love new world wines that usually get reviews that say “restrained style”, “claret like”, are low alchohol, and have decent acidity. I definitely like newer Bordeaux as well as I have bought probably 20-30 different 2014-2016’s.

Mature Bordeaux is very easy to find. Bear in mind that most of the major Chateau have huge output. Check auctions, WineBid, some trusted retailers, and Commerce Corner on this website. I backfill 1-2+ cases per year just from fellow Berserkers. Just granted 2 cases of high quality 2001 Bordeaux from a nice person from the site.

Over Haut Brion???

Not under $100 anymore, but if I went back in time I would get Montrose, Leoville las Cases, Palmer and Ducru Beaucailloux.

But, really, I would do what I did - buy some Bordeaux but buy a lot more Burgundy.

Lafleur. I bought a lot when it was <$240/case. Should have bought more. Much more.