If only one village/town/city in Italy...

I really enjoyed Pitigliano and Sorano in Tuscany. The ancient Etruscan ruins were so cool to hike through–a man made slot canyon stretching for miles.

Just FYI:
https://www.christiesrealestate.com/sales/detail/170-l-78074-f1606021904700177/chianti-classico-award-winning-organic-winery-with-10-ha-of-vineyards-panzano-greve-in-chianti-fi

Before this horrible plague, we were in love with Bergamo.

Also Barga, near Lucca.

In the valley it’s not much higher than Verona. Go two miles in any direction though and there are ski lifts and snow until June.

Pre-pandemic I was actually researching where my wife and I might live in Italy for six months and Panzano was the leading contender. Convenient to lots of places, as noted, and it feels like a more substantial town than others we’ve considered (we’re not interested in cities).

1 Like

Siena. Plenty to do there, a good train station and access to all of Tuscany. Havent been to Piemonte yet thought hat could change

One of my friends lives in Italy half the year. He has a place in Siena. As others have said, pretty central. He’s visited every department of Italy, except Sardinia, from there. I’ve been to Sardinia and it’s probably not where I’d choose to live. When the airport feels the need to post multiple signs that forbid live pigs from being on the plane…https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=174602#

1 Like

Another gem. And so near Milan, Verona and other cities.

We’ve spent a lot of time in Florence and Rome and love them both. But the six months would have to exclude summer months. For warmer months, the next place I want to try is Turin. Not much love for the town itself, but I like the proximity to Piemonte and the Italian Riviera

I wasn’t crazy for Turin. It still feels a bit industrial and it was bombed to hell in WWII.

Bellagio at Lake Como is a great choice for the summer months. I’m assuming money is no object [wink.gif]

Agreed. Stayed in a villa overlooking the Conca d’Oro and walked the vineyard each day. Magical place.

1 Like

I can get down with the Panzano crowd. 6 months of Dario & Fontodi and then a couple months of managing gout.

1 Like

Modena. Decent sized town with fantastic food, and centrally located. Major cons is that it’s not in wine country but it’s a close enough drive.

For a larger city, definitely Florence.

Is this supposed to be about wine?

I lived for three years in the town of Sacile in Friuli Graves. I’d be happy to move back. Just the right size. Excellent restaurants. My grocery shop was around the corner as was my favorite gelato shop. Lots of local places to visit including San Daniele. Local festa (celebrated it’s 512 anniversary while I was there) with superb food and wine. Venice was an hour away by car or train. Would go there for lunch on weekends. Lots of local wineries. Best place I’ve ever lived.

Gorgeous! It looks a bit like Colmar, France, which is on top of my list for this thread in France.

Probably Milan, with summers on Lake Como and/or the Tuscan Coast. Rome is my favorite big city to visit in Italy, but I couldn’t imagine living there. Florence has become uninhabitable.

Sweet! - la dolce vita for sure. You were very fortunate to have experienced this. Cheers.