if not American oak, then what...

I think American oak is very distinguishable from French. I think distinguishing the French varieties is hard(er) and only the very trained palate can pick it up.

I don’t think anyone can truly pick up the character of Troncais vs Alliers oak in a blind tasting.

I think American oak, being a different species of tree, does give different flavour profiles but I agree with Greg that few people can truly pick it up from tasting alone. David Shildtnecht couldn’t in my wine for example.

The other thing to remember is that American oak is cheaper than French, or Hungarian, so it tends to be used for cheaper or lesser wines. People also like to hear that the fancy wine they have paid $100+ for was aged in French oak, not American.

“You only use French oak I assume” is a comment I hear from visitors to my winery almost every week.

Not Missouri or Arkansas?

There is an article in “The World of Fine Wines” a few months ago on oak. Our own Mel Knox is quoted several times. The gist is that the cooperage is more important than the source of wood.

John,

If the Lactones were based in Little Rock or Hope, they would be Arkies, not Oakies.