If I were to buy a 2014 White Burgundy to store until my grandson reaches age 18 or so . . .

Ramonet. The wines are off the charts in 2014. Longevity will not be an issue- and my premox rates with Ramonet have always been low.

What will you be cutting his teeth on in the years leading up to 2032 to make sure he will appreciate some of the suggestions here?

If someone gave me Coche at 18 I don’t think I would have understood the wine. Maybe that’s part if it, though.

Thread drift: is there a premox problem with the wines of Bernard Moreau?

There is neither in 2014, but will be in 2017 I believe.

I have more Ramonet in my cellar than any other white Burgundy producer (Bernard Moreau comes close though) but sadly I don’t think we can yet be sure that longevity won’t be an issue. I’m crossing my fingers, but anyone buying large quantities should do so with open eyes, as I did.

Never had a premoxed bottle, which is good, since I am have a lot!

Ramonet had premox issues at least through 2005…not sure about more recent vintages tho.

I’d go with Bouchard, Meursault 1ers or Corton Charlie GC. None of those bottles should be insanely priced, should improve with age, and are under DIAM.

EDIT: This happens to be my boy’s birth year so I’ve put a few aside for him.

Yes agree, I tasted with Pierre Yves the 2014 line-up from barrel and he confirmed that Chassagne Cailleret is at level of his Batard Montrachet… I’m a bit puzzled when I see critics rating the PYCM Cailleret so low…

Interesting. For me, Ramonet also is the #1 white Burgundy producer in my cellar with Moreau being third. Probably because I drink up my Moreaus too quickly.

As I said in the other thread, I would not buy any white Burgundy today and hold it 18+ years. But, if there were any I would it would be a Grand Cru (can save money over the Montrachet by buying their excellent Chevalier Montrachet or even better their la Cabottes) or their Meursault Perrieres (their 2007 Perrieres is still quite young tasting and that is in the middle of the premox era).

The one producer I buy really old wines from with good results is Ampeau. Their 1993 Meursault Perrieres is occasionally available at Envoyer and is fabulous. But, this is before the real premox era and I don’t have any idea whether they still make wines the way they used to do so (I have heard that they used to use a lot of Sulphur - don’t know if that is still true).

Love the 2014’s. With the caveat that I too would never roll the dice to invest in a case or two of higher end white burgs with the intention of not drinking them for 18+ years, being very skeptical still about the premox issue, I’d suggest you have a plan B of some other 2014’s from other regions to cellar. Plenty of other red and white options that are much more predictable. Also may want to consider large format. Good luck in your search!!

Buy a Benjamin Leroux white sealed under screwcap.

Go with a 2014 Lamy Criots HD. Your grandson can drink it at his retirement party.

Let’s go back to this. But buy it in magnum.

I’m thinking about years that have structural similarities to
2014. My only magnum of 1996 was gorgeous, flavorful, fresh, and tension-filled two years ago and sucked down by non-geeks. The 1996 in bottle is more advanced but still very fine. 2002 is gorgeous right now out of bottle.

And 2014 Roally, which was released by Thevenet first (two years ago), is probably my favorite Roally (along with the 2002) since Thevenet assumed control of that domaine. 2002 Roally is also singing right now.

The track record is there and the vintage has great promise.

Otherwise, depending on how much you want to spend, in Chablis I’d probably go for Fevre Bouguerots GC, Dauvissat Forest, and/or Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre. I just don’t trust the Cote D’Or. Crap shoot for long term aging.

2014 PYCM Corton Charlie.

or double his retirement assets by selling it.

Thread drift again: I think Moreau is relatively under the radar for WB.

And I don’t see much attention to Dugat-Py here at WB: why?

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen much less tasted a white burgundy from Dugat-Py. His style with reds is very extracted, how would you characterize his whites?

Concentrated, textural but incisive. The wines are excellent. The most similar style is probably d’Auvenay, but the wines are not on quite that level yet. They’ve only been making them since the early 2000s.

I realize you’re brave, but I didn’t think you’d be foolish. champagne.gif