I'd like to hear from the old(er) timers

For some people modern cars are simply better than cars from the 60s-80s. Without doubt there’s a lot of improvements that make them more reliable, safer, have better emissions, etc.

But for some of us, those older cars had so much more character(and flaws). And whether it’s the E-type Jaguars, muscle cars, or Volkswagen Things, those are just so much more interesting than the Lexus, Prius, and Escalades of today.

1 Like

Jay, while I think you’re referring to my post, you also didn’t pay close attention to what I wrote either. Consistently in blind tasting for the average person (who’s not interested in wine) wines that are higher in alcohol content and sugar content score higher. That person will appreciate Saxum a lot more than many grand cru red burgundies. That person is also not wrong, because palate prefernces never are. But that person is also not the target audience of this forum. You are making the argument that person is actually demonstrating Saxum is “better” by being able to tell the difference. I don’t know - the one wine my Mom (a notorious drinker of the most sugary lighter fluid imaginable) and I agreed upon recently was…a Mugneret-Gibourg Chaignots.
Also, I do not want a free bottle of Saxum. I suppose I could make a joke here about its quality, but the truth is I just don’t like Saxum.

I will also add, as I know you and like you, there’s really no need for the condescension; I do not “know that GC Burgs are great”. I have opened plenty that are not, and I got my start in wine in Napa when I was in school out in the Bay Area. I’ve drunk plenty of Napa cab and still have a few I bought when $40 seemed like a massive reach. The only rule of wine is to drink what you like, and if you like Saxum, that’s great - you should drink it. But that doesn’t mean people who like Burgundy are drinking it out of some perverse pretense at hipsterism. The reason I don’t drink wines like Saxum is because I don’t like them.

1 Like

I am 100% in agreement with this.

You can grab almost any bottle off a store shelf and get a nice wine…everyone in the world can hit their marks with the modern winemaking formula. And almost any major producer will never put a wine at risk, so most current wines are like a Honda Civic or a Humvee. There are exceptions, but finding them is as hard or harder(IMO) than it used to be to find really good and really cool wines.

And the bandwidth of modern wines, well made as they are, is so much narrower than the bandwidth of traditionally made wines. If I was an occasional consumer, modern wines consistency would be great. But I enjoyed the exploration of wine enough to hunt down really good producers in all of my favorite regions.

I’ve no love for the natural wine movement, but it should be considered that some of the success of those wines, often flawed, is due in some small way to the homogenious nature of most modern wines.

2 Likes

Certainly not with vaccines. The old method of inoculating someone with Cow pox pus to prevent smallpox is much better than this newfangled mRNA thingamabob [wink.gif]

I agree with this, though I also think this is primarily a “general progress” vs “specific progress” kind of issue. For the average consumer, today’s wine is vastly better. For a person that loves wine, the challenges are different. There are a lot fewere bottles with obvious brett, fewer issues like the time Ducru had a 5 year taint issues and just didn’t bother addressing it, but as you say - some of the wine is made by the same negociants in some places to taste the same. For the person that just wants a nice Chianti, that’s GREAT. For me? Well…:slight_smile:

Wouldnt work as it would be behind a paywall

1 Like

“Flawed … or misunderestimated?” - AF

1 Like

When I first got into the wine business (mid 1970s), there was tons of bad vintage wines on the market from France and Italy. I remember thinking (at the time) that the 1973 Beychevelle was one of the greatest Bordeaux I had ever tasted.

But they were cheap. But there was also a plethora of old Bordeaux and Burgundy on the market at ridiculously low prices. I remember gorging myself with 1961 Latricieres Chambertin half bottles for $9 each. There were a ton of 1950s everywhere, so that was fun as well. BUT, the quality in both categories was all over the place. I wouldn’t have cooked with the early 70s vintages of Margaux (for example).

TODAY, with prices where they are now - you have to look at the little guys in Bordeaux instead of Classifieds, and village wines from Burgundy instead of 1er Crus - frankly, quality has jumped up so much that really isn’t the big letdown in Quality you would have seen 50 years ago -

I have been serious about wine since the late 90"s. For my tastes the overall quality and consistency of wine have improved significantly. Pricing has increased as well.

I also agree with a lot of the comments Jay Hack made.
I also believe that much of the disagreement here is due to differences in personal preferences which I try never to question.

2 Likes

No doubt it is more difficult, and much more expensive, to buy and drink the top end wines from most regions. And I would argue that today there are a lot more wines that go “cult” and become literally an order of magnitude pricier and more difficult to obtain. The truth is that, with a tiny number of exceptions, you can come close to replicating the experience of those wines at much lower price points. If you have to have the label - for yourself, or your posse - that’s obviously an issue. But if you just want really good wine, there are usually many other options.

What we do have that we didn’t in the “old days” (which for me is the 80s and 90s) is the internet, which is a double edged sword. Word of mouth travels much faster over the internet than by mailed paper, then add all the tools for finding wines and information about them, and nothing stays quiet very long. But the other edge of the sword is that we now have knowledge of, and access to, so many more wines, well made, interesting, from all over the world.

While I’d love to be able to go back and buy wines 30 years ago again, if you gave me the choice between doing that, with the much more limited tools (and number of quality wines) available then, I think I’d choose to stay in today’s world of wine. That might not stock my cellar with first growths and grand crus, but I think I’d be drinking better overall.

2 Likes

Happy birthday for last week Jay!

I agree with Thomas especially the last paragraph but as our consumption has grown in the US along with our intake of wine critics/publications it was inevitable that prices would go up and hopefully quality with that to reach the people who unlike this community would prefer to see a score and buy it as opposed to “exploring” as it was prior to critics etc…

It’s been a pretty long cycle. For every bottle of 1982 Lafite I sold for $33 a bottle and bragged about, someone will be there showing me a receipt of a bottle of 1961 Lafite they bought for $6. Then there will be someone who purchased a 1952 Lafite for $3 -

And none of this matters, going forward.

As usual, I love Jay’s comments, and his style. I watched a video yesterday of a commencement speech by Lou Holtz. He told the graduates to listen up. “I’ve been 18. You’ve never been 78.”

“Everything tastes the same. And the prices for it are real high.” Sounds like supply and demand at work. More demand for the trophy wines, from more countries, and the trophy wines don’t have as many bad vintages as they used to, due to better wine making and global warming. All of it is getting sold, even at these prices, to somebody, whether they are consuming it by drinking it or by bragging about what’s in their cellar. If that’s what people want and will pay for, why should I care? I can get something else that’s very, very enjoyable for a reasonable (event suitable) price. it’s not from a first growth or equivalent, but probably another area of the world that nobody ever heard of 40 years ago. And don’t we always say that price is not always an indicator of quality?

Another upgrade that I think I’ve noticed: How many 21st century bottles are you pouring out because they’re corked, ‘off,’ musty, etc.? I think the number of bottles that are bad when they are opened is much lower. YMMV.

And nobody has mentioned Oregon, which barely existed 40 years ago. It’s not just this or that obscure area of the world that we can now access. It’s also a wider variety of areas with significant quality producers.

It’s not just that the internet has made it easier for everyone to find wines. A bigger factor is that there are many, many more buyers interested in higher end wines and with financial means to purchase many of them. More countries have middle to upper middle class consumers (or higher) and more of those consumers in every country have become interested in wine compared with a few decades ago.

Fortunately, there are still so many wines I want to explore and love to drink at prices I’m willing to pay.

-Al

“Wine has gotten better” as a general matter? I’d say the proportion of technically clean, respectable wines is certainly higher, and that’s a good thing. But I think you have to look type by type, rather than generalize about “wine.”

One’s answer isn’t just about science. A good analogy might be photography or music. There were big strides in color slide film in the 1970s (fabulous leaps forward with Ektachrome and Kodachrome), and then digital photography, with all its advantages, overtook silver-based film. There’s no comparison between the quality of images from today’s point-and-shoot cameras or phones and even the best 35mm point-and-shoot cameras of 30 years ago. And PhotoShop was developed, giving photographers all sorts of new tools.

But would you say photography has improved? Are the images today better than what Henri Cartier-Bresson shot with an early Leica in the 1930s on ASA 10 film? That’s a matter of taste.

Same thing with music. Analog recording improved (better mikes, better recording equipment), then digital equipment came in, allowing engineers to clean up new and old recordings and control the final mix more precisely. That opened all sorts of doors.

But is music any better than in 1970? It depends on your taste.

Wine is more like that than internal combustion technology.

2 Likes

Pretty much, You would have to find some unknown item to show me something that has not improved. Have you ever drive an 1950s car? That alone should convince you. I drove those thing to a 3 figures speed and can tell you that they were categorically unsafe at any speed. Luckily there were very few cars on the road.

I grew up in the era of the imported “village cooperative wines” from France and Italy the 80’s in Sweden (not a wine savvy country then) and let me tell you - it was not a pleasant experience. Almost unfathomably bad, most of them. Screeching, horrible things. My grandfather was a huge wine nerd and he would always introduce me to different wines and there was a reason Aussie Shiraz, South African wines, Argentinian and early California wines made big inroads into the frozen palates of the barbarians - they were just better and more accessible wines compared to most of the Euro wines (Spain was an exception).

So, quite opposite from most US consumers experience, for me the connotations of French and Italian wine did not equal quality at the time. My idolization of wine went more towards the New World than Europe, which would explain why I know so little about French and Italian wines. Cause they sucked back then and it didn’t promote more exploring (I’m sure if I’d had more funds when young, I might have encountered a lot better French wines).

I know quality has improved immensely across the board since then in Europe (largely thanks to the New World competition), but check Cellartracker and the amplitude is still very much in evidence: the highest and lowest scored wines are more often than not French or Italian. New World, for all its faults of syrupy largesse, is much more even. Chances of getting a real screeching dud are smaller here than in Europe. This is the whole reason New World got a foothold at all - there were too many bad wines produced in Europe at the time.

1 Like

As I mentioned above, I drove most of them and they sucked then and now. If you want to drive a 1950s car, put it on a modern chassis and suspension and give it a modern engine. Then maybe you will have something.

By the way, there are much more interesting modern vehicles than the Prius, Lexus, and Escalade. They may be representative of today’s cars, but they are certainly pedestrian.