Iceland Sweden and Denmark Tour

I was in Iceland in 2000, rented a car and headed to Snæfellsjökull glacier. Rented a snowmobile and drove up the glacier. That was in late March when the below temps with the wind were about -20 degrees.

Not sure what it is like in the summer through.

Enjoy! Certainly the prettiest of the Scandinavian cities, but I’m biased. [wink.gif]

Here’s a good thread with some advice:

1 Like

thanks!

We had an excellent meal here:

Robert, we have a reservation at their Chef’s Table early next month. Can you expand on your experience?

Food was great and creative. I remember some use of smoke that worked extremely well.

Wine list had a number of crazy deals albeit for recent vintage high end burgundies.

I would recommend:

• a number of different restaurants (see what you fancy) in the old town all in the same area with a shared extremely extensive wine list and mostly very well priced.
  • a bit more relaxed place with a great wine list as well.
  • been a while since I was there but I’m sure it’s still good and I loved the ox cheek.

There are more sofisticated restaurants like Franzen but if picking restaurants based on wine lists (interesting producers and cost), yet good food, then these two are among the very best in Stockholm.

thank you! looks really interesting!

Rolfs Kök has been there for almost 30 years - a classic by now. Before I got a bit more squeamish, I had a whole roasted suckling pig there many years ago that is still in my top 5 meals ever. Amazing. I don’t think they still do it, but quality is always good there no matter what you order.

Absolutely, and could go there only for the winelist [cheers.gif]

thank you all!

The https://andershusa.com/ is a good resource (and in English). He branched out after he got an American girlfriend, but it’s still focused on Scandinavia.

My recommendations from the other thread still stands as well.

Any views on Kadeau in Copenhagen?

I have not been since pre pandemic. It is my 2nd favorite restaurant in Copenhagen. I love it.

2 Likes

I will let you know. We have reservations mid-April at Kadeau.

1 Like

Last night Alchemist.
Tomorrow Kadeau.
Took a break tonight for the Opera Aida.

All I can say about Alchemist is that if you can snag a reservation - just go. Amazing night - we dined for over five hours. Amazing team from top to bottom. Great interactions and conversations. Really impressed by how much time Chef Munk spent with us during the evening. We did not do the wine pairings. They start with either cocktails or a glass of champagne - three choices offered by the glass and I went with the Billecart-Salmon Elizabeth Salmon Rose. We ordered a bottle of the Francis Boulard Les Rachais for the first part of the dinner and then a glass of Chateau Palmer for the red courses. We passed on stickies given the plethora of sweets. The wine list is amazing and you could easily rack up $$$$ with expensive choices - but the food is the star here. Again - just go. Oh and I loved the freedom room :heart:

1 Like

Saturday night dinner at Kadeau - discrete and cozy restaurant - welcomed by all the chefs after a short hallway discovering some of the magic of Bornholm. Great interactions with chefs throughout the night as they also presented each dish at your table. We opted for a bottle of Cedric Bouchard Haut Lemble BdB and the nonalcoholic beverage pairing. The majority of the dishes were fruit, veggie, and seafood with a main dish of pork. Sixteen dishes in total - four of which were sweet ones. The flavors were amazing - a completely different experience from Alchemist as the dishes were more Nordic in flavor. Since it was still preservation season, many ingredients were dehydrated, preserves, smoked, brined, or pickled. But I didn’t find the menu overly acidic or briney. It is a restaurant that you can go back to over and again rather than an experience as was Alchemist. Favorites included the dehydrated tomatoes, the salmon, the scallop ice cream, and maybe my favorite was the blue mussel with horseradish and rose. Highly recommend and many thanks to Robert Dentice for his recommendations that convinced me to book at Kadeau. Rasmus and his front of house team were amazing. Now I want to visit the restaurant on Bornholm!

3 Likes

So happy you liked Kadeau. And yes Bornholm is magical.

1 Like