I Think I may be Done

I would like those older folks here who continue to buy wine to remember the famous quote: “S/he who dies with the most wine, WINS

2 Likes

Yes, I have including a disposable plastic stopper with a peel off tab on the business end which is supposed to bring the wine in contact with some substance/gas/pixie dust that keeps the wine for a significant duration. None has done much to keep the wine “fresh” until the next day.

I 100% agree that opinions here on the subject occupy every point on the compass and they are all correct for those who hold them.

3 Likes

Definitely true as to personal preference Chris. I also tend to fall on the side of preferring most reds on the first day. They may require a lot of air on that day, but it’s still usually best for me. I believe I’m rather sensitive to oxidized flavors in red wine. It is far less common but not unheard of for me to find a very young and structured wine better on day two. I don’t believe I’ve ever encountered a red wine I enjoyed more on day three than days 1-2.

Whites are different. Dry whites I often find they hold at very close to the same enjoyment level over a few days assuming the bottle is mostly full or the wine is placed into a smaller vessel. Sweet whites hold better still, and I have encountered Rieslings which seem better after a few days. Hard to say, however, whether that is actually do to improvement vs. something like mood, food, or mood.

3 Likes

I agree 100% on the reds v whites distinction. And that sweet whites do even better. I think nothing of leaving a partial bottle of chardonnay recorked in the fridge for a couple of days.

I expect that’s also a highly subjective perception, but I also would guess a much higher percentage of us would prefer white wines after day one as compared to reds.

@Neal.Mollen , how do you do with white wines after day one?

1 Like

An excellent and important distinction. We have often held unfinished whites until the next day without degradation similar to red wines. Of course we don’t drink much still white wine, and champagne never lasts to day 2 anyway. (Plus it is easy to get great champagnes in half bottles)

1 Like

I wish I found that to be the case, but I haven’t.

Or maybe it’s more that I think I can find very common high production Champagne in half bottles, but none of the geekier stuff.

I did just order six Roederer 24whatever in half bottles. It’s really nice to have those when you just want a glass or two before still wines, before heading out to dinner, or whatever.

1 Like

Yes, I should have been more precise. I have loads of excellent champagne in half bottles. I am never at pains to find something I want to drink. But you are likely going to have a harder time finding the limited production growers (looking at you Cedric Bouchard) in half bottles. But then, it is difficult to imagine an occasion worthy of such a wine where I would not want to finish the bottle

Complete opposite reaction with a 98 recently :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love it!

And I’ve had a 98 Donjon in the last year that was gorgeous.

1 Like

Which I think again goes to show what most of us have figured out over the years – the taste of aged wine generally, and specific aged wines, is different. That difference is better to some of us, worse to some of us, it just depends on what you like.

2 Likes

I thought you decided you didn’t like CdP’s 15-20 years ago. Maybe you just don’t like young CdP’s.

1 Like

Along this older wine portion of this, I am drinking a 98 Ravenswood Gregory Merlot right now. It has a small touch of funk, but it is a wonderful, not in your face, merlot that I know will be dead in the fridge before morning.

1 Like

I (just about) stopped buying CDP after the 98 vintage because the alcohol and sweetness levels had reached the point where I no longer enjoyed them

4 Likes

I hear you…that was my mantra, then some good income years and 2018/19 Bdx. But I haven’t brought any 2020. I’m done, I’m done…

1 Like

This assumes the collection amassed quickly is comprised mostly of recent vintages. My own collection was acquired relatively quickly (mostly over the past 4 years) but I bought a mix of library wines, young drinkers from newer vintages, and wines from newer vintages that should age for a long time.

2 Likes

As in exploding? If so, yes, a thousand times yes.

Anytime my wife is looking for me in the house and can’t find me she knows im in the cellar :rofl:

1 Like

I can see this. I noticed the change with the 98 vintage. But it is true that global warming change CdP at some point near of after the beginning of the 21st century.

I’m holding the line, too. So far. Only through 2019! Not even looking at 2020 Bordeaux!

1 Like