I may have to throw in the towel on Coravin.

I had similar problems with the original Coravin and they sent me replacement parts and replacement argon cartridges also. Excellent customer service.

My quick google search shows that device starts around $400? Also, I’d be concerned about a device that uses a vacuum with the thought that it’s actively removing volatile aromas before the wine ever gets to your glass.

Find an airtight 375ml container. Fill it up and place it in the fridge. Wine is just as good the next day.

Fridge temps may slow biological spoilage but it will increase the rate of oxidation.

as you all well know, coravins are murderous thieves that thin your cellar by killing bottles you weren’t intending to open any time soon. I hate my model 8 and use it several times a week (but haven’t had any gas leakage)…

Pouring the wine into the 375ml container will certainly expose it to more oxygen than use of a Coravin (assuming the cork properly re-seals). But why/how does lower temperature increase the rate of chemical reactions, oxidative or otherwise? I always thought lower temps resulted in slower reaction rates, spoilage and oxidation.

?

I’m with Russ and have refrigerated in 375s for a dozen years or more. I find it very reliable. It’s rare that i find an wine shows any oxidation on day 2 … or 3 or 4 … unless it was a fairly unstructure wine to begin with (e.g., some grenaches).

We have a model 2 where I work. It’s about a year old (I think) and we’ve recently started having what seems like the opposite problem. The capsule cup is extremely difficult to remove sometimes. No one will own up to over-tightening, so we were thinking that something is going on regarding the gas pressure. This topic is making me think we have no clue.

The lower the temperature the faster a liquid will absorb gas. But as I said, low temperatures can guard against biological spoilage. If you’re drinking that 375 within a week I’m sure you’re fine.

Just a fun piece of winemaking science I’ve picked up along the way. I used to store leftover wines in the fridge but not anymore.

" I’d be concerned about a device that uses a vacuum with the thought that it’s actively removing volatile aromas before the wine ever gets to your glass."

Wow! And your ITB? Yeah, and once those volatile aromas are sucked off, no others will ever be produced. Eventually, the entire bottle will be gone through this evaporation.

Thanks Nolan. Interesting as I’ve anecdotally been less impressed the next day with open bottles left in the fridge vs those left out on the counter. Never did a comparison and figured it was random memory tricks but that might explain it.

I’ve been sticking 1/2 of a 750 into the fridge most week nights for 20+ years. The rate of oxidation or spoilage or whatever you want to call it tends to be quite slow in the first 24 hour period unless I am dealing with an already mature wine or a very light Grenache or Beaujolais. Younger wines, many of my daily drinkers, and they are just fine.

John, Robert and Russ, I think your full 375 is a different situation than Nolan’s or my open or re-corked half-bottle in the fridge.

In your case, the amount of O2 in the bottle is limited to what got in there when you filled the 375. That O2 will be available for oxidation but no additional O2 will enter the bottle. And the cool temps will slow the oxidation reactions.

A half-full bottle, OTOH, has a generous source of O2 floating above the wine and available for ongoing oxidation.

I think it’s also a weird case (like Alan discussing the slow-ox practice) where science and experience offer different (or seemingly different) explanations.

Perhaps you’re not taking it out of the fridge early enough and it ends up cooler and showing differently? I generally don’t put my leftover reds in the fridge because I never seem to have enough time in advance to let it warm back up to temp I want it.

The oxygen solubility goes up at refrigerator temperatures but the rate at which dissolved oxygen reacts and oxidizes the wine goes down. I think the latter effect is a fair bit larger. You can do an experiment up slicing up an apple or banana and testing whether it browns faster on the counter or in the refrigerator.

-Al

I have been using an airtight 375 container for as long as I can remember. Placing it in the fridge preserves the wine just fine for 24 hours.

Ditto. But I don’t wait until I’m done done with the bottle. I know right away whether I’m going to drink the whole bottle or not and pour off half of it immediately on opening. I’ve never put a partly-filled bottle in the fridge after it’s been open for a while. Seems safer just to finish it if you’re halfway through and haven’t taken precautions. Better safe than sorry.

David - you did the right thing. Ex girlfriend? It would have reminded you of her every time you used it and you would have been too PO’d to enjoy the wine. Gotta look out for your emotional health! [cheers.gif]

Quite possible. I’m generally lazy and pay little attention to the next-day remains, as they’re usually a small amount. And the effect is far from consistent. It’s occasional.