I know it’s not “the market” but damn Burgundy pricing…

Any examples? The $1k+ bottles or even the 1er Crus?

1 Like

Everything is softening a little bit. Not just wine.

That my friend is called aging.

4 Likes

Can you tell my arteries that?

This thread didn’t move for a month… Is Burgundy reducing interest? Do we need a new thread “Burgundy prices going down…” :slight_smile:

Burgundy is dead. Chinon is the new Burgundy:

1 Like

Not yet, but maybe soon. I’m still seeing aspirational offers from the secondary market retail usual suspects. But the last quotes I got from an auction house were down 25-30% from last year. Some of these places are sitting on tens of millions of dollars in wine and they can’t afford to sit on that forever. I would imagine when sales slow down for a couple of quarters, prices will follow suit.

3 Likes

I call it correction.

Yawn. Burgundy is overrated.

1 Like

Back to talking about overpriced Burgundy…

Retail offer at $500 for M-G NSG 1er? Oh, but it’s a “private” “VIP” only offer. I’m hoping retailers get stuck with bottles like this and have to offload them for cheap down the road.

As I’ve said elsewhere, retail is very slow to catch up with auction. Auction is the place to be right now if one is a buyer.

5 Likes

With the caveat of provenance, yeah. As with Bordeaux about 20 years ago, over the last few years the market has priced future appreciation into the price of current release Burgundy.
That said, unlike with Bordeaux, there’s still plenty of arbitrage given the various distribution channels - there’s no set “release price” for Burgundy. We’ll also see what happens when interest rates actually fall; unclear if retail prices will fall of if auction prices will pick back up a bit.

do you mean cellar door or normal channels? at least in the US, burgundy coming through standard importer / distributor channels all have the same cost going to restaurants and retailers (and they usually go up - or certainly have been for a while). putting aside the issue of allocations, if the cost to retail is up and they apply the same historical margins, the end result price is up. obviously, the majority of public offers you’ll see on w-s may not have any normal relation to cost.

for example, DRC La Tache from WD is:

2019: $2000
2020: $2200

The market may value the 2019 more than the 2020, but the 2020 costs more.

they were $100 retail and tasted like vegetable soup. couldn’t wait to get rid of them. i guess i called that one wrong!

All of it. Unlike Bordeaux, there are many ways to get Burgundy and there is no “release price”. What the price is from a distributor doesn’t necessarily reflect what people pay for it.

Understood. And agreed.

1 Like

21 Gouges Les St Georges for $A1200 ($800 US) anyone?

that’s a weird one.

1 Like