I Know Drinking Windows are Subjective But ...

That would be awesome!

Joel Peterson (Ravenswood) waited on a lot of wine until he thought they were ready to sell recently. I do not know the type of storage he utilized. I never would imagine a 1987 Ravenswood Sonoma County Zinfandel would be going strong in 2021 (and loved it). I canā€™t help to think storage has such effect on drink dates and how variable conditions can be.

One of my first intros to Napa was at Elyse winery. Ray also waited a long, long time to release his Cabernet (I opened my last 2003 Morisoli in 2020, and it had held up very well).

I can appreciate the challenge in not knowing someoneā€™s palate, but I also value insight from the winemaker on where they think the wine is at to help in calibrating where my wines are likely to be in their lives.

Iā€™ve got some beautiful 2017 Paso Robles Grenache that is totally closed right now, but a number of my 2013 Napa Cabs are finally turning the corner on opening back up. Kinda depends on ā€œwhere is the wine nowā€ vs. ā€œwhat flavors/textures do I want out of this wine and when is it most likely to have that.ā€

I donā€™t feel too guilty about drinking my big Lodi Zins young, but I try to give my Oakville Cab as much cellar time as possible until Iā€™m dying of curiosityā€¦

Iā€™m always appreciative of producers that have taken on the risk to age their inventory to sell when they think itā€™s ready to drink.

Itā€™s a huge financial burden and not an easy gamble to undertake. As a consumer I love that mentality and seek to support producers doing that like Joel, Larry from Tercero, Terry and Frances from Kalin, and many Rioja producers to name a few. An uphill battle for sure, but one that I am infinitely thankful that theyā€™ve undertaken.

If itā€™s available on a retail shelf, itā€™s ready to drink. Whatā€™s this about drinking subjective windows?
newhere

Which is why I buy Lopez de Heredia which is right now selling 2009 Tondonia.

Unless the winery has been in business and making the same wines long enough to see them age, peak, and decline, how are they supposed to offer a non-BS drinking window?

1 Like

Didnā€™t JP buy back the Ravenswood library/inventory from Constellation in 2019 or so? I donā€™t think it was a ā€œhold until itā€™s readyā€ situation.

Yep, im pretty sure thats correct on the Ravenswood wines. Still a pretty cool opportunity though!

And I agree that itā€™s amazing when winemakers hold back wine until they feel its ready to drink. That can NOT be easy to do from a financial standpoint.

And per the ā€œsubjectiveā€ in the OP, what is ā€œready to drinkā€ or ā€œat peakā€?

Yes, it is guesswork, but guesswork from the guy (or gal) who made the wine is better than nothing.

Yes this is what I find most helpful. Periodic check-ins by the winemaker are quite useful. This is in effect what I use CT for ā€“ tracking bottles I have to determine when I might want to open the next bottle.

Someone with many years of experience in the bidness told me that industry studies indicated that something like 95% [or 99%???] of all bottles of wine are opened within about 30 minutes of having been purchased at retail [or at restaurants???].

And at the other extreme, I seem to recall, from a while back, David Schildknecht having declared that trying to anticipate a cellared wineā€™s peak drinking window was so impossibly difficult that he refused to do it any longer.

Personally, I seem to have stumbled upon the hobby of cellaring table wines [anything this side of about $30], in the hopes that 5 or 10 or 15 years of rest might make them even more interesting.

It probably wonā€™t happen - I imagine the chinese hypersonic EMPW-tipped cruise missiles will long since have taken out our electrical grid before then - but itā€™s fun to imagine [that a table wine might magically turn into something special].

I guess the key there would be to invest in passive [root] cellars.

I find myself in agreement. Also, one personā€™s peak drinkability is anotherā€™s way too early or late timing.

The three day test, to me, speaks only of how the wine tasted after three days and nothing about its ability to age and develop.

But the endless speculation about unprovable assertions is fun.

Actual David Schildknecht quote: ā€œThe wine will always have the last word.ā€

I donā€™t know. I recommended 2004-2007 as being the only vintages of our wines that are in an open window and drinking well. We also routinely tell people that they should open a bottle young but that Whistling Ridge routinely wants 10 years in the bottle before it gets into maturity. That is off putting for some consumers as well.

I would +1 that we like the wines young, and probably a good deal more than most consumers.

Itā€™s funny that we think of self interest in having our wines consumed earlier. The business math is definitely the other direction.

My worries about people buying too much Goodfellow, having never tried the wines are real, but a year or two back Chris James emailed me that he was concerned that 12.5 cases of Goodfellow was too much. Chris and his partner drank a bottle of Goodfellow a week at the time(so they know the wines). So I pointed out that at 52 bottles a year, he had a 3 year supply of wines he knows have 10 years in the cellar(or more). He really needed to buy a lot more Goodfellow to get to good likelihod of a ā€œmatureā€ bottle(or slow down consumption, but I did not suggest that). Though I suspect that with Violin, Kelley Fox, Vincent, etc. that he has a lot of options.

Cellaring is a crazy commitment, but I love digging through bottles in the cellar, tracking them, and arranging them. I donā€™t think 12 cases for a proucer is necessary, but I really do wish that I had bought some of my favorites in bigger quantities.

1 Like

David, I have the same understanding you do.

Off-topic, but Iā€™m this way about tequila. Much prefer the younger ones ā€” a lot of unique flavors and aromas, most of which get sidelined once it ages in barrels.