I haven't complained about this recently, so . . .

I do get irritated when something gets sniped by only a few bucks. But, I’ve come to peace with just putting my max bid and letting it ride.

2 Likes

1979 is an underrated Burgundy vintage …

1 Like

I think Jay is officially getting trolled now…

This. I usually don’t place my bids until Sunday though. No need to drive up action on the lots I’m interested in. I also use it to avoid any sunk cost fallacies in trying to win a lot i already bid on. For WineBid specifically I usually look through the lots and highlight the lots I’m interested in and set myself an in internal max bid for those less. Then closer to the auction close I’ll just place my max bid for all those lots and let the chips fall where they may.

I have known Mark for many years. He lives less than 30 minutes from my house. He was at the last Berserkerfest at my house and he was nice enough to bring a Reserve du Celestins to one of my pre-pandemic Jets tailgates. It’s all in fun.

Ha! You think I only drink Saxum, SQN, Myriad and Cayuse because I like flavor with my wine? In my cellar, I have two bottles of 1976 Château de la Maltroye Chassagne-Montrachet Rouge and a bottle of 1982 Hospices de Beaune Pommard Cuvée Billardet Jean Duport, which bracket 1979 pretty well. By the way, the former are the remaining two bottles from a case I bought upon release.

I have been doing it for years and I got a bad bottle only once. When the plague is over and I am pressured into having another Berserkerfest, you can come and I will open a 1951 Offley Colheita or a 1951 Rivesaltas I got that way. Come to think of it, I opened one of the Offleys at BF 2.5 in 2010. Someone suggested that there was a slight bit of chlorine on the nose. My response was, “Do you really think it is the wine or perhaps the 30,000 gallon swimming pool about 10 feet behind you?”

Jay, do you want me to check my Amarone collection? I might have a 1979. Are you looking for a specific producer?

I never really understand the angst about getting sniped. Either it means:

(1) at the last second, someone outbid you, and you would have bid higher than them if only there were time left for you to do so, or

(2) at the last second, someone bid higher than you were willing to bid, even if you’d had time to consider it.

If it’s (1), why didn’t you set your max bid higher in the first place? If you were actually willing to spend $70, but you put your max bid at $60 and someone else bought it for $65 a second before the auction ended, then that’s just bad process on your part. You should have put $70 as your max bid.

If it’s (2), then someone bid more than you were willing to pay and so that’s that. It’s an auction.

Back when I used to do auctions (I stopped probably 10 years ago), I actually kind of liked it when I looked Monday morning and saw I was sniped. I had my fun finding and shopping for the wine (and if you’re honest with yourself, that is a fun thing of itself even apart from actually drinking the wine in question), but I didn’t ultimately have to spend the money or add more bottles to my overfull collection. And there was always next week.

This part confused me. champagne.gif

Ut-Oh !
'79 is my first born’s year of birth too !
I bought some great cognacs for him whilst I was in Germany years ago !
I also occasionally search for a '79 deal ! [pillow-fight.gif]

PS Rush was “The Man” !

I´m certainly not the “A$$hole”, but there´s an easy way to get what you want: bid way above the market price … and you most probably get it! neener

That´s the pros and cons of auctions - the highest bidder gets the lot!

(BTW: I´m not a fan of Amarone … but I like 1979 as a vintage in Bx, Bg and Rh … and Germany)

YES!

When your post count exceeds 14000, you will attain wise old man status.

PS - For those of you who had retained wise old man status, does this qualify as the current year’s version of the wine-stained sweater thread?

If you let us know exactly which wines you are bidding on each week, we’ll know which ones not to snipe.

It is a state by state issue, but in some states that would be an illegal post by me. Really!

Put your left hand on my badge & You incur adaptive immunity. [wow.gif] neener

[snort.gif]

Ditto! I put in my max bid and then see if I get any “you won” emails!