I have a glass problem: Zalto - WS - Now JR

.au is a domaine suffix based in Australia

$56/stem. How much are the GGG?

Occasionally on sale for around $40 each. Particularly during that grand circus this place hosts every year.

Exactly. I bought a six pack from a BerserkerDay special last year and I haven’t used them in probably 6 months.

I have the same issue. I kept getting a muted nose on every wine. I want to like them. The smaller size and balanced feel holding them are great but if the wines do not perform well for me then it’s pointless to use them.

I do need to try them more with sparkling and whites. It would be nice to find a use for them. As of now they are gathering dust.

I’m a GGG fan. We use them at home and at the winery. In a side by side on our wines vs. a few comparable stems- The GGG showed more savory, earthy, mineral elements (where I nerd most) where the others showed more intense fruit… I do find the GGG the most delicate of all the stems- I have watched some fired up guests break about 6 over the past 2 years :frowning:

I invested in Zalto BDX stems a couple years ago because I was beginning to have winemakers come to me for tastings when I traveled to a region and I wanted consistency of stemware across the spectrum. The comments I get are overwhelmingly positive. I will likely stick with them.

The wife and I tasted at the Bedrock tasting room yesterday and they used Zalto Universals.

This was our first experience with high end stemware and I have to say it was eye opening. We had some of the same wines at the zap tasting in SF earlier in January (2017 Evangelho, Bedrock Heritage and Papera) and in the Zalto stems we both felt they were most definitely better. Coulda been the excellent ambiance and experience in the tasting room, but I suspect the Zalto played a large part.

Did you ever think of using machine gg in the winery?

I think the machine ones are nice glasses, but it was never a thought. Though fragile, I want visitors to have the best possible stems. It makes up for having to dump in a winery bucket and stand around an old barrel :wink:

Hardy. PM me a mailing address. We are making a mouth blown tasting stem. I have a prototype. Cut lip. Nice size. I like it. Might work for you. Target price is $12/stem

Cut lip? Sounds like you have some design work to do neener

I think my refusal to obsess with stemware will forever ban me from the hardest core wine geek club. I have no desires unmet by schotts and basic riedel. :shrug:

+1

But the glasses from Jancis might emphasize the “sparky” character of some wines.

And BTW, why no mention of the Suckling glass here? I was given a few of those and I’m not sure if I’m supposed to like them or not.

I wanted to really like the concept of Jancis Robinson’s One glass, but after trying it with many wines, I don’t think it’s the right glass for everything. It is lovely for champagne, white wines, riesling, port, chinato, etc, but it doesn’t show off more aromatic reds nearly as well as other glasses. I’m sticking with something larger for Nebbiolo, Burgundy, and Bordeaux.

Kelly,embarrassed to admit this but just did an inventory on my (all Reidel) stemware and I have 286 glasses of all kinds! 88 tasting glasses! Most of the rest are sommelier. Honestly dont know how I got so many??

Rim shot.

from a guy named glass-er

Transparency is the game…

We’ve barely scratched the surface here, but the pun-intolerant may have already cracked.

You just keep pouring it on.

And just how do you continue have kitchen space to keep adding to your stemwear collection? Glasses take up a Lot of room!

Trying to make a splash without a spill.