I F'ing Love Breakfast

Yes this, but with black pudding as well.

Donā€™t forget fried tomato and or mushrooms in the fry up.

I have always loved breakfast. When I reoriented my eating, breakfast was modified, but I have come to love it just as much as I always did.

I make my own whole wheat bread, and those two pieces of toast in the AM - every day - are wonderful. Simple but delicious.

I eat breakfast 364 days a year. The other day I feel crappy all day. One day a week I go out. All of the above are good ideas. It helps to try new versions instead of just eggs/bacon every day. On the other hand, I could care less about lunch; it kills the middle of the day.

Fruit and yogurt is best for me.

I start nearly every day with Greek yogurt, nuts, honey, and black coffee or a cappuccino. And itā€™s consistently among the most satisfying moments of my day.

But I do also love a great hot breakfast. On weekends, we often do eggs with leftover meats/veggies from the night prior. Or the occasional old fashioned donutā€“my ultimate guilty pleasure.

1 Like

I totally understand how much harder it is to have a hot breakfast when youā€™re going to an office regularly. Being able to make my own breakfast every day is one of the only good things the pandemic made possible. The degree to which it makes me happy is quite astounding. I sometimes go to bed earlier because that will mean I get to have breakfast ā€œsoonerā€ (not really, it just feels that way since Iā€™ll be asleep).

I was traveling for a month on vacation, hot breakfast included, I was sick of eggs after 5 days. The only other breakfast Iā€™m truly excited about would be bagel and lox.

While I sometimes love the hot hotel breakfasts if they are very high end, I usually do it as brunch, as late as possible.

I love my breakfast too!
Other people call it espresso with steamed milk.

Some excellent breakfasts that I make (ranked very roughly in terms of preference, but only very roughly):

2 eggs over easy, well down hash browns, toast (literally perfect)
Good lox bagel with EVERYTHING
Avocado toast with poached egg
A good ass quiche or (more likely cuz Iā€™m lazy) a frittata, or in the same vein a tortilla Espanola
Biscuits (served with butter, honey, jam, or for the real one out there, molasses)
Sausage and grits
Scrambled eggs are fine, but thereā€™s a huge range here; I prefer it in the ā€˜walk it past the stoveā€™ style - the dry stuff Iā€™ll throw away
GOOD waffles; not that toaster junk. Pancakes are inferior in nearly every way.
That said thereā€™s a local chain that serves a ā€œ49er flapjackā€ - super thin, made from a sourdough batter. Easy enough to do at home. Thatā€™s worthwhile.
Itā€™s been forever but if I could find a decent one locally Iā€™d look out for a Proper English.

Lower on the list:
Getting hit by a truck, having that truck reverse back over you, then go forward over you AGAIN, then unload a pile of manure on you
Donuts

All that said my breakfast 5-6 days a week is a green smoothie. Easy quick and low mess.

Surprised miso soup hasnā€™t been mentioned yet. Always a part of a hot breakfast for me alongside some rice, grilled fish and some veggies.

A favorite of mine, as well, and included in my ā€œsoup all over Asiaā€ comment. Japanese breakfast makes me very happy.

Not related to miso soup, but another favorite I didnā€™t mention, which I do all the time when on keto, is chicken livers quick sauteed in rendered bacon fat, with crumbled bacon and a fried egg on top. If I have time, Iā€™ll sautee shallots and make a pan sauce with a bit of stock and some sage.

1 Like

I love breakfast food, but after I changed schedule to run in the morning, I generally have some nuts with coffee (and a few tortilla chips) before running, then followed by something like yogurt. Hot breakfast doesnā€™t work well before or after running. Sometimes on trips I have a more substantial breakfast.

-Al

I have been starting my day with a cafƩ au lait since last century. After that I generally I prefer a mix of cereals with fruit and yogurt or milk, but sometimes I get a hankering for chilaquiles with green sauce and eggs.

Love breakfast. I love the ritual. The process usually includes making eggs with various add ins like veggies or turkey, drinking my coffee, and reading the NYT. It used to be a process that was exclusive to the weekend, but the pandemic has made it a more regular occurance.

1 Like

My breakfast hash this morning was particularly delicious.

My stepson didnā€™t finish his large pork chop last night, so I took half his leftovers (3oz or so, left the rest for Jonathan) and chopped it small, then sauteed in a pan with leftover Flat Dutch cabbage which had been cooked in bacon fat with a touch of apple cider vinegar. I also had a small amount of roast cauliflower sitting around which I added in. Topped with some chopped kimchi and a quarter of an avocado as well as one fried egg and a teaspoon or so of homemade fermented jalapeno oil. Fantastic combination of flavors and textures.

1 Like

Leftover pork chop with great fat, cubed and sautĆ©ed, is one of breakfastā€™s mise en place stars.

I donā€™t eat breakfast much with fasting, but I will do it occasionally particularly on the weekend. Your template is exactly the kind of stuff I crave. I look at it like a luxurious warm nutritious salad topped with the indulgence of runny yolks. I also have a simple template for leftovers, heat, add egg and acid.

Also I love a really spicy breakfast. That rush, along with great coffee, just satisfies every corner of my craving.

Couldnā€™t have put it better myself, the spice is a great rush. And you know thereā€™s no such thing as a lean pork chop in our house!

My daily fast runs 5:30 - 9:30, largely so I can have breakfast. :grinning:

Same here, during the week leading up to Thanksgiving, as all the family gets settled we do Breakfast For Dinner!

I recently learned of a thing called a Scotch Egg, I really wanna try it!

I love breakfast because it is carte blanche!

Cold pizza left on the coffee table the night (or two) before, all the way oysters and eggs Benedict!

A new egg over easy on top of leftover Pad Thai, maybe with some Tom Kha Ghai, or leftover Indian food served over some pan fry potatoes.

Huevos Rancheros at 4 am to cap off a night of self destructive behavior, itā€™s all great!

As Cookie Monster would say, ā€œNom nom nom!ā€

Thanks for this great thread.

Thread drift confessional: I tried my first croissant one morning this past monthā€¦it was good, but I secretly expected more.

Of course there are croissants and then there are croissants.