I am beginning to think that I am not a big Beaujolais fan

Chermette / Vissoux is one of my favorite Beaujolais producers.

-Al

Amigo - you do know that although the story is repeated and embellished continually, it’s not exactly what happened, right? Phillip’s motives were rather loosely, if at all, related to the quality of the wine.

I did; I admit there are exceptions here and there.

I remember drinking Cru-Boo with Bob Fleming about 10yrs ago and stating that I loved how Burgundian some were… He responded that he drank them because of how Beaujolais they were… I’ve loved them more and more ever since.

Excellent quote. They are what they are, so let them be what they intend to be. I think Sartre would concur.

This thread cajoled me into bringing an 09 Foillard CdP to dinner last night. By no means “aged”, it was in a beautiful phase of development after 1-2 hours of air. Really nice spot, showing so much more bang than its buck, and a firm reminder that I will continue to buy cru bojo for its QPR and flexibility.

Because of this thread I took my last bottle of '05 Vissoux/Chermette Poncie to a dinner last night. I think it was generally appreciated. I thought a lovely showing. I like Beaujolais young, but some wines (Roilette Tardives comes to mind) really reward 10-12 years aging for my tastes.

Elaborate, please!

I agree with this. I had a Vissoux Fleurie Poncié 2014 recently and regretted buying it. I worry that, with escalating prices, some old favorite producers are heading the way of Chateauneuf under Parker’s influence to get points. Part of Cru Beaujolais benefit was good wine for a weekday tarrif, but prices have been shooting north a lot while the dollar has gained strength. I’m reassessing which I will buy in light of both that and stylistic changes.

Arv, try a nice one with a perfectly done roast chicken… [cheers.gif]

I tried this and thought it way overdone and spoofy! I have a few more so I only hope it calms down.

Ripe, yes certainly compared to some past vintages. Spoofy? I’ve got a hard time believing their winemaking style has changed that much…unless you have some specific insight to the contrary? The bottle in my hand is labeled 13% abv.

RT

Big Vissoux fan here. The 2011s are killer, much leaner and more earth driven. Have not tried the '14s yet.

I’m not certain if this is the one, but I remember you serving a wonderful older Beaujolais. Thank you for educating me. I won’t say that there are no wonderful Beaujolais. I will say that they are few and far between. I wish I would “get it” just not there yet. IMO and YMMV. [cheers.gif]

David, that’s the one. There’s clearly something people don’t like about young Cru Bojo. Not sure if it’s an association with uninspired Nouveau, a dislike for the grapes “gamey-ness” or what. Doug at Brick House makes a tasty Gamay (I thought his 08 was killer), so does Belle Pente. Tip of the hat to the ESJ version. These should be more approachable for a number of Beaujolais detractors.

RT

Hard to believe this wine could be spoofy; showing the '14 fruit-forward vintage character I could see, but spoof is tough to believe. The '12 is so hard and austere it’s just really tough to imagine they could do spoof. (Based upon the rest of their range as well)

I’ve had this wine multiple times. “Overdone” and “spoofy” would be near the top of my list for terms I would never use to describe it.

Sums it up well for my tastes.

Totally different varietals, but when I crave something that a gamay might satisfy, I reach for an ESJ Rocks and Gravel instead. Light, intense, crunchy, inexpensive, except really good. YMMV.

This thread prompted me to open an '11 Bouland Morgon Delys last night. After half an hour it opened up nicely. Layer after layer of tangy dark plum. Incredibly satisfying on a simple hedonistic level and intellectually.
I would guess that gamay and grenache are the most polarizing of grapes among those that drink French varieties (I purposefully leave out all Italian reds) produced either in Europe or the US. They both have similar qualities; a certain sour tangy flavor profile unique to both varieties that some just find off-putting. What a boon for those of us who love them-Cru Bojo remains one of the great bargains in the wine world.

The 2009’s may be atypical, but they have been some of my favorites since release. I loved them then, I enjoy them now, and I think they will age well for some time.

Also, Cru Beaujolais to me is a frugal alternative pairing for steak.