Hyper Decanting - Use a Blender to Aerate Wine!

This has come up in previous threads as well, and the reaction is typically the same as seen here.
I would ask those who decant their wines routinely why they do it. Scientific reasons to do it are to introduce oxygen and to allow the dissipation of dissolved gases. Both of these are accomplished more quickly with the “hyper-decanting“ method. That’s all. You are just speeding up that for which you would otherwise wait around a long time.
But, no surprise to anyone here, we wine lovers tend to cling to our anachronisms. Just take a glance at other threads in which a shocking number of people adhere to the notion that sticking a chunk of a tree in the neck of a bottle is more technically sound than anything modern science can come up with.

Hey, who is up for putting a Petrus, Screaming Eagle, or La Tache to the test?

I heard that the proper way to do this with Screaming Eagle is helicopter blades and then a final spin from the yacht propellers.

3 Likes

Did you get this from succession?

Just because. Perhaps it is simple snobbery or perhaps old age refusal to change. Or perhaps it is a simple “fuuck that” thing. But I won’t do it. I have enough bottles that give me enormous amounts of joy that I simply am not going to throw them in a blender looking to crank them up a notch. There isn’t anything wrong about it at all, but for me - and I speak for me only - I don’t want to go to this length to chase an improvement of wine I am already happy with.

YMMV.

The blender doesn’t “decant” the wine. But before dismissing it, take a bottle, pour half in the blender and put the other half in a bowl of warm water as you do the blending. Blend the first one and then have someone pour them for you in two different glasses as soon as the bubbles subside. Taste side by side, not knowing which is which.

It makes little difference for many wines.

Don’t knock it until you try it…

1 Like

Wouldn’t a blender have pretty much the same effect as bottle shock?

That’s why after you blend it you need to let it sit upright for a month.

1 Like

Bingo! [cheers.gif]

Of course, there’s the whole idea of bottle shock . . .

1 Like

I’d never try this. I would think even if it does add oxygen, heat from the motor of the blender might not be a good component to add to the…erm, mix.

1 Like

There are wines that are a lot stronger than some people give them credit for. Heat from the motor? Seriously?

Still bad [wink.gif]

I’m game. I’ll give it a go with a bottle of cheap obnoxious plonk I wouldn’t otherwise drink. The vitamix could use the workout. If it doesn’t work, I’ll add sugar and mulling spices and call it glue wine.

I’ve used the milk frother before, it definitely doesn’t hurt the wine. Mixed opinions whether it helps.

Your post reminded me of a Cameron Hughes video about aerating wine. He tried the blender method & said it made the wine worse. Here’s a link -

How could anyone forget?

I know somebody on this board who thought putting '98 Grange into a blender was a good idea…they must have the palate of a yak!

Wasn’t it Manlin and Freemott that put a Deus Ex Machina into a Blendtec?