HUGE Price Increases at Bern's - 200%-500% Increases on Wine!

No, the food does suck. Berns is a restaurant you should BYOF.

2 Likes

My major discovery was the steak sandwich in the Bar. Bern wanted an inexpensive meal option for locals who wanted to stop in and it has been on the menu for many years. It is a steak sandwich on a hoagie like roll. I mesmerized our group one night when I orchestrated a delivery in the dining room. It was the best thing we had all night!

On another night Chef Hab made vegetable Tempura for my wife! He always took great care of her!

1 Like

That’s unfortunate. Yes, my mileage has varied. It’s been adequate but like I said I go there for the wine not the food.

1 Like

Have mentioned prior. Was eating at the bar. Told the bartender my dish was exceedingly salty. Response, “yeah that can happen”. He turned around and walked away

1 Like

Terrible place. No reason to go. Even the wine. :wink:

2 Likes

No bargains but both were close to or less than secondary market prices My first Chave Rouge. Quite singular. Glad I was able to share these with my mother for her birthday. Wish I experience more back in the day.
I did have my place in Kingston NH where second growth bordeaux from good vintages and Massetto were available for around $150

3 Likes

Robert, Chef Hab is now the executive chef at Boulon Brasserie. I’ve eaten there once and thought it warrants a second visit.

Yeah I stopped by to see him a couple of times. Once with a friend who is writing a book on The Great American Steakhouse and he interviewed him for the section on Berns. He looked great!

1 Like

That seems like a great price then. Maybe not a steal, but paying FMV at a restaurant (and having the ability to return it if it is not a good bottle) is really nice.

2 Likes

I should be there in July. Now my son has committed to U of Tampa so I think more visits in my future.

Are there still the modest 70’s wines on the btg offerings? That was an incredibly unique offering if you don’t mind the steak (I always thought it was fine).