How to share the same bottle of wine with friends across the West Coast - Covid 19 style

I know someone who was doing this pretty extensively while studying. His wines were fine for weeks and even months with simply pouring, not siphoning, as long as there was absolutely no head space. He said they actually needed air when he first opened the bottles as they were often reductive. Maybe siphoning is best if you want to leave a tiny bit of head space for shipping, but otherwise you might even do better without it.

This is a great idea for sharing wines.

Definitely reductive. That’s what we’ve been noticing. They all need ample air to really open up. They all start pretty backwards

Have been following your project on IG. Great idea. I think Rich Nanda in Chicago has done the same thing with friends.
Was curious how you started the siphon, glad it isn’t the old suck&spit gas tank method.

Those bottles look cool just for home use if you want to break a bottle into more than 1 week (if you don’t want to spring for a coravin)
To Doug’s point, I wouldn’t have thought a lot of wines would have stayed stable if poured from bottle to bottle over time. Could see siphoning being less oxidative for transfer.

I wouldn’t have thought so either, but my friend did this with literally hundreds of wines, and the only problem he found was reduction, not oxidation.

You got me on the Walter Scott’s…just ordered a mixed case…10% discount, free ship, no tax! Looking forward to trying these!

[cheers.gif]

Yah. I brought it up with Adrian when I first started it. Since they are using the same btls I used initially, I’m guessing that’s where the idea came from for them.

Siphoning def less oxidative. There’s a post about it on guildsomm. It’s just more labor intensive than just using a funnel.

Probably a bad idea, but Charlie have you tried a sparkling wine in the Boston Rounds?

such a great idea. I may try this with 12oz bottles. Curious how you pack them when you ship them? Adding in a cold pack or anything?

Lots of bubble wrap like a burrito. Then there’s a fair amount of additional filling to keep them from moving. No cold pack.

maybe soon. ha ha

latest round with Mr Fu.

What a cool idea! I’m jealous :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you tried some of your original bottles? Are they still good after several weeks in the fridge?

the longest i kept one was 2 weeks and it tasted as good as I remembered. I have two 4oz 17 gonon that i’m gonna let sit in the fridge for a bit. Consume one next week (so 3 weeks total) and another 3 weeks after that.

Fun, albeit labor-intensive, idea. Very cool!

I think i have it down to 1 hour 30 min now from start of bottling to dropping it off, might be even faster now that I bought label stickers.

Gonna bottle a 6 pack right now, so we’ll see!!

Split Mark’s in half, and I’ll PM you my address in Seattle!

Encroachment, Defense! 5 yard penalty!! :wink: [wow.gif]

That’s a full 15 yard Personal Foul! [rofl.gif]

Just stand outside of his Microsoft & Amazon mansion and share. Look for the fleet of Tesla X’s paid with cash

Even better, just send them to me, and I’ll make sure Mark gets his share.