How to Explain Auction Prices of Terrible Wines?

I understand the demand for prestigious wines, but the weird thing is the demand for the others. In the past, auction houses over here sold mixed cases, in which there were good wines and some real stinkers, the point being that when bidding, you didn’t include any cost for them. Sometimes they turned out as expected, sometimes the stinkers were surprisingly good, such as a bottle of Lafon-Rochet 1984 I remember buying. Nowadays, those bottles sell by themselves - and still do so successfully. It’s not just the bad vintages, even totally flawed wines sell - I keep on seeing bottles of Phélan-Ségur 1985, which was recalled by the château at the time. As for the countless bottles of various 2003 disasters…I’m astounded. It’s true that they all sell for between only 30 and 60€, but that’s not the same as buying a bottle in a mixed case for 0€.

I’m a '73 baby, not exactly Vintage of the decade, but I have had a lot of fun buying and trying different wines from that year. '73 Ridge Monte Bello, '73 Ridge Geyserville Zin, and '73 Heitz MV have been stunning. The few Bordeaux I’ve had, not so much. But it is always fun to see if I am aging better than the wines!

Pat - I had a fantastic 1973 Latour this year. I see A So left high praise on this wine as well on CT: a real 93.

You could be lucky as to be born in 1956, one of the worst years I have heard. I have a few Barolo from the year.

Not auction but I recently saw 1990 Pichon Lalande being offered for $210.00. That’s a lot of money for a decent wine but very disappointing considering the vintage and the chateau.

I, too, have had lots of very pleasant surprises from very old supposedly off vintages.

That said, I’m sure the prices are driven more by vertical fill-ins or “event” years.

Plenty of great Champagnes in '73.

Well, the question is: how terrible - and why?
There are always positive surprises to be found … (if you´ve made your homeworks)

However, imho there are usually the following reasons:

• anniversaries
  • buy on reputation, money no issue
  • no idea of anything, but far too much money

btw: 1980 Petrus is not a bad wine, I would love to drink it for 50-70 bucks a bottle … flirtysmile

69 was very weak in Bordeaux, but outstanding in Burgund (red) and even better in the Rhone valley ! [cheers.gif]

Same here.

I am pretty sure the Phelan Segur recalled was the 1983. I have fond memories of the 1985

Mark, I could be wrong but I think it was actually 1983, 1984 and 1985 which were withdrawn when the Gardiniers took over. But it’s really not important!