How or why did you pick your business name?

We made it up, but I think it has a great story behind it.

Dacalier - pronounced (Duh-CAH-lee-ay) its a combination of the four partners names who started the winery.

DAve, eriCA, LIsa, ERic - We specialize in southern rhone varietals, so we wanted something French that wasn’t necessarily French.

We also prefer Dacalier Wine Co. instead of winery or wines etc.

Both my wife’s Maiden name, Biggio, and my surname, Hamina, can be hard to pronounce. So it made perfect sense that we combine them.

we just lacked the creativity to come up with an interesting brand name.

We struggled to find a name that was recognizable and reflected where we’re located. Husband’s last name, Palomar already has a couple of wineries associated, Buenavista likewise. Veleta is one of the tallest peaks of the Iberian peninsula located in the Sierra Nevada, Spain, Mulhacén is the tallest at 3,478 meters Veleta is at 3,396 metres (11,140 ft) We are located on the South slopes so we found it a great match in spite of the nasty processed cheese product many of us knew as youngsters!

I was drunk and watching VH1 Storytellers with Pearl Jam. I figured I’d get sued if I used “Pearl Jam Wine Company.” By Trey Busch, as I know the PJ boys would have been cool with it.

We called it winestore. - nobody wonders what we sell…

heads it was my name first, tails it was his…

i used a two headed coin…

true story…

Bullshit. You combined your name with this one.

I often fantasize about opening a store in the San Gabriel Valley (Or Tokyo!) that only sells Moscato D’Asti, Brachetto and Lambrusco. It would be called Jade Gate…

Is he aware of the two headed coin and does he read Berserkers? [stirthepothal.gif]

I think “Baehr-Assed Zinfandel” would be a great seller! [basic-smile.gif]

yeh, i do have customers who come in the store doing their best jackie gleeson… heyyyyyy norton…
gets old after a decade and a half… .especially since im NOT norton… [swearing.gif]

Probably beats having them assume this is you:

Two middle names…

Just sayin’ . . .

“Lightheart Cellars”

“Lightheart” is the screen name my wife was using when we met

it portrays the concept of what good wine should do, to “lighten your heart”

“Cellars” was a toss up on winery, cellars etc and Cellars seemed to roll off the tongue more mellifluously, while we were originally going to dig a cellar. Until we found that CA generally doesn’t know how to do that.

It was a tough one for me.

I didn’t want to use my last name as every teacher I had through out my life has buchered my name.

I tried hard to avoid using my name but in the end it just seemed to be the right choice, with a twist.

As you can see I decided to design a logo that is iconic, that stands on its own.

The “gc” is intended to stand for “Grochau Cellars” although my business is often (mostly really) referred to as “GC Cellars”.

I learned to let go of that, just as long as the remember

Hi John! Welcome to the board!

Lemme see… gc… How about General Classification!!! or Grande Cru!!! gc is perfect!

Cheers!

(Hey folks, John G. makes one helluva good pinot blend for a very small amount of change. Seek it out, you will be rewarded.)

Ed,

You figured out the double meaning…

Back in the day when I raced my bike a lot I had a nick name from my team mates: “johnny gc”.

Stage races is where I generally did my best, hence the nick name.

Most meople don’t know about that as it is pretty much not a main stream sporting term.

Thanks you for the “shout oout on the wine”, I am glad you enjoy it.

Let me know if you are in Portland, you can come by and check out the urban wienry.

Cheers,

John

John, don’t forget the public health variation on those initials!