How often do you return corked wines?

if I bought the bottle recently - I return.
If I have had it for a few years, I don’t return

Pretty much my aproach as well Eric. I buy very little from retail and the importers and wineries I’m loyal to never have an issue with taking care of a corked bottle. I have been pretty lucky as the number of bad bottles I have had from my cellar has been very low. I also don’t worry about it if the bottle is under $40…cost of being a geek.

Good poll. I slotted myself into the 0-5% bucket. The one bottle in recent memory was a replacement initiated by the winery after reading a CT tasting note I had written. “Hey Jim, sorry to hear about the corked bottle. Another one is on the way”.

I break out this way:

• Wineries - I often let them know, but frankly it happens only rarely. While I don’t ask for it, the bottle is almost always replaced.

• Retailers - never. Too much hassle.

• Restaurants - always. Mostly because the bottle is there, open, for all involved to taste.

Is this true no matter how long ago you bought the wine? I realize that wines don’t become corked with age or because of storage conditions, but I think many of us feel less confident about asking for a refund on a wine purchased long ago.

Also, do you keep track of receipts? I guess with online purchases, there is usually a record built into your order history on the site, but if you buy in person, do you keep track of the physical receipt? In either case, do they ask you for the receipt or just take your word that you bought it there?

Thanks.

It’s really rare now compared to a decade ago, for CA wines anyway. That seemed to be the “high point.”

fwiw, the last one I believe was a 07 Holdredge Zin. Luckily, the day I took it in he wasn’t working cuz he’d probably have me sign a 20 page contract before giving me a replacement. :wink:

I find a highly disproportionate percentage of my corked wines to be Italian, and then French second. Those are wines I’ve bought from here there and everywhere, usually held for a long time, and I just don’t feel like seeking a refund.

I’d be more likely to ask for one from one of the California producers I buy from regularly off the mailing list, but I very rarely get a corked bottle from any of them. I got one from Cabot off a BD purchase; I mentioned it to John at Falltacular and instantly he said he’d be happy to ship me a new one. I haven’t taken him up on it, but maybe next time I order from him I’ll ask him to include one with that shipment, which seems less wasteful than having him mail me one bottle of Confluence.

Coincidentally, they were all online purchases (I’d say 95% of all my purchases are online with receipts) and were within relatively short spans of purchase. But like you said, a corked wine is a corked wine from the get go. I always offer to send them the bottle in exchange for a refund, which I think might be a big difference between just telling a place “i want a refund” and not giving them anything back to see. Just like with all other retailers, gotta give them back the flawed item.

I didn’t respond to the poll because I’ve never returned wine I felt might be TCA contaminated, just because it’s really only happened maybe three times in my entire wine life, and it was always a single bottle occurrence.

I have, though, reached out three times, to three different sellers, due to wine I felt was off, possibly heat damaged, over multiple bottles, from the same purchase, and always after opening within a relatively short time of purchase.

I’ve had three different resolutions, all of which I’ve felt were good in the end. (All of these were online, out-of-state purchases.)

Once, the retailer took it back, paid return shipping, tasted a bottle themselves, agreed it wasn’t right, and then offered me store credit, which I felt was fair. Another, the winery, which I had purchased from direct, took the wine back (again, paying return shipping) and refunded my money. And, in the third, the retailer said too bad, and I thought I was just SOL. But, after I had posted a tasting note (no rating), saying three bottles seemed off, the winery, Ridge, contacted me and went above and beyond, sending me a full case (!) in replacement, all unasked. I even reached back out when I got it several months later–they had, had to do some shipping limbo since they didn’t ship direct to my state–to make sure it wasn’t in error. They said it was, “for my trouble.” Very above and beyond.

By the by, I still shop regularly at the first retailer (never had another problem) and through that winery direct, but haven’t ever used the not-our-problem retailer again.

Never.

I think of it as the cost of doing business.

One of the more amazing stories I’ve ever read on WB. A full case, just because of a tasting note? Wow.

My biggest issue is REMEMBERING to actually bring them in. I have several sitting in my pantry right now. If I bought locally, I do bring them back though. Harder when they are shipped in to me, and if they have been cellared for more than a year or 2, I tend to eat them.

Pretty much in full agreement with Charlie here…
In fact in most retail envionments, one can return just for not wanting/liking the product anymore within X number of days…

In your financials, there’s a sales return reserve booked against Revenue for just that reason… THAT is the cost of doing business.
“cost of doing business” shouldn’t be borne by the customer… b/c buying something isn’t a business… making/marketing/selling something IS.

Just my opinion… i’m sure folks on the other side of the table (ITBers) would disagree [snort.gif]

#11 “most admired” wine brand and #1 in the USA, for a reason:

I don’t think I’ve ever returned a bottle to a retailer or a winery (restaurants - absolutely), but I rarely drink anything upon release, and I think it’s rather cheap to come back 3-5 years later and say that it’s their fault. In addition, I don’t have so much free cash that I can play in the $100+ stuff. I’d rather buy more tanks.

Question for winemakers - If I taste a bottle the day/month/quarter after bottling, will the cork taint be evident? Also, what about reduced wines? I read somewhere that these were as/more common than corked wines.

cheap ass asians. [snort.gif]

Not this Asian. I can never really remember where I bought shit from is my problem. Plus the entire thing about amount of time after purchase, etc.

And does the length of time you have owned the bottle enter in to your decision to return? What if it has been in your cellar 5 years, or 10 years? I don’t think I would return anything I have had for an extended period of time. And I don’t think Best Buy will take back anything I have had for an extended period (although Costco probably would).

I think there is a difference that Chris mentions. A corked bottle is corked from the day of purchase. I don’t know why someone would wait five years to return something to Costco/Best Buy other than to take advantage of a situation.

That being said, the issue hasn’t come up for me so I’m not sure how I’d deal with it.

Yep. This was multiple years ago, but someone from Ridge posted a comment on the note, and asked me to email via the website. I did, and that was the result. Since I didn’t buy it from them directly, I hadn’t even considered contacting them and felt the buck stopped at the retailer. I was pretty floored by how hard they worked to make it right … and then some.

It shouldn’t matter how old the wine is, or where the wine was purchased - the winery should replace the wine or provide a full refund to the consumer. Granted, it may not be possible to replace the exact wine, but something suitable (maybe current vintage) should be offered.

The winery chose to use a product (cork) that has a known (and expected) failure rate. The distributor or retailer all acted in good faith that the product was sound, so they shouldn’t lose out on their time and money. The winery is ultimately responsible.

I get why most people don’t go to the effort to report or return corked wines - I’m the same way. But all of us who don’t are part of the problem. Right now, most wineries feel immune from TCA issues, because they rarely get any feedback. But if they did hear about all their corked wines, I bet things would change for the better quickly.