How many wine glasses have you broken?

My weirdest break
EE2C08BA-4B67-431D-937B-830BE99D67CA.jpeg

Same.

I had two break like that, right in a row. It’s a defect.

I had a Riedel break on me the other day. Looked similar. As soon as the water (which was not hot) hit the bowl, a big chunk just broke off.

Literally hundreds -

I break more in the dishwasher than hand wash. I can’t count how many

I have to buy at least six every berserker day…

1. One fell in my dishrack due to bad positioning, and the other broke in my hand during an in-store tasting of Sauvignon Blancs years ago. The bleeding from the latter resulted in my most embarrassing wine experience ever - at least I did not have to go to an urgent care clinic or a hospital on account of some Napa SB.

It’s been 14 years now since I’ve broken a wine glass.

All beautiful things. Broken glasses mean some good memories.

That’s a common break for me.

I average 5-6 a year. After 30 years it must more than 150 glasses by now. Sigh

1 Like

+1, except when I kept thinking I could wash them in my dishwasher. I was stubborn, kept repositioning them, over a year or so I broke about 20.

Now I’m down to 2 - 5 a year, half by me, half by guests.

OTOH I own 11 English Champagne flutes from the late 18th Century and nobody has broken one yet. Of course:

1. I don’t haul them out very often, and
  2. They are damn thick

Dan Kravitz

Seem to average like 3-5 per year? None have ever broken in the dishwasher, though I have broken 2 Glasvin glasses while loading them in. I also broke a GGG a couple weeks ago while making coffee and knocked it off the counter (I was going to wash it AFTER I had my AM coffee…). Smashed into a million tiny pieces on the floor. I also broke another Glasvin when my mother in law loaded one improperly on my stem hang dryer. I went to move it and the glass dropped down to the counter bowl first and broke. An “unpacking professional” also broke a Zalto BDX when we moved though I didn’t see how it happened. That’s all I can remember, but I’ve def broken plenty.

1 Like

It’s always amusing what draws a crowd here!

I broke 15 or so all at once when a shelf collapsed. Really cool sound.

Other than that, rarely. Maybe one every 5+ years.

I have a friend who is basically a one-woman Greek wedding. So . . . a lot. I really appreciate the Grassl sets at the last Berserkers days. The wide bases have slowed her down a bit.

Yea, this thread has made me not sure if dishwasher is the way to go or not for glasses. I’ve always hand washed, but it’s always been only a very few glasses at a time nothing like a dozen.

Only the expensive Riedel’s. Hardly ever on the everyday $6.00 glasses!

1 Like

I do like the Riedel Restaurant Somm Series. Those are hard to break.

Honestly I can’t even remember breaking a glass…maybe 2 or 3 in the last 25+yrs??? I always wash them, and am very careful I guess. Now my bro…he is banned from using our good glasses…and is given plastic ones if outside by the pool! Was a little wasted, and fell into the pool with a big ol pour of Verset in a Zalto…glass smashed on the side of the pool and went everywhere! I made him dive down and get every piece of glass out of the pool!