How many different wines do you own?

We’re still missing inventory on about 1/4 of the cellar, but based on what’s in CT, we have 4523 bottles with 717 different wines for an average of about 6.3.

I’m guessing that average will drop slightly when we have the full cellar inventoried, as current levels include most of our bulk holdings.

This to me is the better measure - it controls for cellar size, whereas the poll above does not.

In my case 2.53 bottles per wine on average. From a quick eyeball, it appears that about half my wines I have a single bottle of, and the other half I have 2 or more.

According to Cellar Tracker:
Collection: 443 bottles and 45 pending in 381 wines

I’m at 63 unique wines, with an average of 1.77 bottles per wine.

My hero !

Lol

Two red and white [cheers.gif]

Since I started this, I’ll add that my average is 2.35, which is a little lower than I thought it would be.

153 wines with lots of singletons; I like many here, have trouble drinking the last bottle of a given wine.

60 different Willi Schaefer wines…

I am at 3.6 per wine which surprised me a bit since I thought I would be around 2.75. I think it has gotten skewed by fairly recent multi-case purchases and perhaps because CT counts large formats and bottles as the same wine (they are but I view them differently). Not sure where I would be if I normalize for a handful of overloaded wines (for instance have 6 cases of one wine) and for large formats - maybe I would be closer to where I thought I would be.

Interesting to think about this. I usually like to buy at least 3-6 if I can, though years ago averaged closer to 2-4 and almost never bought 12 or over, but now I buy fewer different wines each year and am willing to go for a case or more if the price is really good.

LOL. I can’t really take credit. I got married last year, and combined my cellar (10+ years of collecting) with my husband’s (closer to 20 years, many of them ITB). So what we have now was two separate cellars until recently, with his slightly larger.

If I break it down by vintage and vineyard designation, then I think I average about 2-3 of any given wine.

I have 1,084 wines with an average holding of only 1.56. I’d like to have a higher number as an average but a lot of my wines are expensive enough that I can’t buy too many multiples. There are a large number of singles from producers I routinely buy from who have a large number of offerings, meaning I may get 6 to 12 bottles from that producer in that vintage but that number is made up of several singletons. (Bedrock, Turley, etc.) There are also producers that limit the number of bottles you can buy of any one wine. (Schrader) I never buy cases but would much prefer to buy 3 per wine when I can.

4.7 bottles per wine [cheers.gif]

Average of 2.005 bottles per wine (379 of 760). But the average is going up as we (a) drop mailing lists (from which we often felt compelled to sample a variety) and (b) now typically buy 3-6 bottles of any given wine at a time.

3.4 bottles/wine here, and yes I hate to open that last one, so lots of singles.

Sorry, I never read the other thread, so I didn’t grok that this was just another way of getting at the ‘how many bottles do you buy question’, thus I didn’t see making the vintage distinction.

Although I do use CT and have all this information available, I never really think about this question absent a region or variety context. For me it’s generally assessing how broadly I am tasting and learning a region, or a particular grape or blend in a region. Then I might decide to buy more, or fewer wines as a result.

322 out of 769

There’s a lot of factors here. If I’ve never had a wine before, I’m not going to buy a case, I’ll buy 2 bottles to check it out, regardless of the deal, hype, scores, etc. If it’s a wine I know/like and a great price, I will buy a case or more. If a wine is very expensive, I’m unlikely to buy more than 3, regardless of how good a deal it is.

Even though I’ve been at this for a while, there are so many wines out there, that I’m usually in the “not quite sure” camp for any specific wine, so again unlikely to make a large purchase. I hope that with time I will make larger purchases of wines I have confidence that I will like at prices that are very good. Of course, by the time that happens, my palate will probably change and I’ll prefer a completely different kind of wine.