How many corkscrews do you own?

I have 2 nice Laguiole’s, but the $12 pull-taps double hinged is better as a waiters’ style to me. Might not feel as heavy or substantial, but that hinge is gold with older/longer corks.
Anyone used a code 38? Nice looking, but $$$

From the drawer in the kitchen. Not counting those in the car, travel kit, other locations…
crkscrw.jpg

Also not counting this

Not elegant, but oh so useful

https://www.amazon.com/Wine-Enthusiast-Retractable-Cutter-Corkscrew/dp/B000BO2K9Y

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Boomerang-Corkscrew-Cutter-HomeAndWine-com/dp/B001ARYJNG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496778527&sr=8-1&keywords=retractable+foil+cutter+corkscrew

https://www.amazon.com/Houseables-Boomerang-Corkscrew-Waiters-Compact/dp/B00S7KQ3F6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496778527&sr=8-2&keywords=retractable+foil+cutter+corkscrew

https://www.amazon.com/Franmara-Barracuda-Waiter-Corkscrew-Built/dp/B001QTEP78/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1496778527&sr=8-5&keywords=retractable+foil+cutter+corkscrew

…and so on…

Probably have like 10+ including the Ah-so, and Durand. Two at work, one in the car, 1 in the camping supplies, one in each of my wine bags.

Each wine requires its own paired corkscrew. My burgundy corkscrew, my bordeaux corkscrew, my american syrah corkscrew, my rhone gsm corkscrew, my chardonnay corkscrew (all nationalities do well with this one), my riesling corkscrew, my unusual red varietals corkpuller, and so on. I use my teeth for champagne corks.

I cannot abide opening the a wine with the wrong corkscrew.

How long do you leave your corkscrew open for before it touches the cork?

It varies by corkmaker. Some corkmakers have such tightly packed corks that it requires more time. Softer, looser corks I can pretty much push the screw in right away.

I screw slowly or quickly depending on who I am screwing.

It is important to listen to those little squeaking noises the cork makes when judging how hard to screw.

To be serious and not derail the thread, I beleive we have four or five corkscrews. A couple waiter’s friends, a cheap hotel one that’s like a pen where you pull off the long ‘cap’ and stick it theogh the top as a 90 degree angle to give you a handle to turn. A rabbit I never use (gift) and one of those ‘gullwing’ looking ones my Mom had in the late 70’s.

Are your corkscrews left or right handed ?

I posted for 8. Only 5 matter:

My 3 Monopole Ah-Sos. I bought a dozen some years ago, use one daily, and have delighted in giving them to people who show interest in that tool. 3 left.

A jeweled screw pull given to me as a gift by my daughter when she was very young. A treasure that I use occasionally.

One of those screws with the arms that you push down to extract the cork. Useful for crappy, cheap, or fake corks, so as to not break the Ah-So.

Some in the back of the utility kitchen drawer…I should toss them.

I’m sure we have several lost at the back of drawers and such. I have one in the car for emergencies. But I only use 2 – a screwpull for young ones and a Durand for oldies. I have no need for more.

Oh, and I have a champagne wrench, and even use it every so often.

I edited my post because I saw I left the period off my last sentence. I know some of you guys do that regularly, but it drives me nuts. champagne.gif

I love your quest for proper detail.

Merrill edited Neal’s post, too.

She’s very nice to me that way.

Have around 20 including a Durand which comes in handy sometimes.

My favorite waiters is made by farfalli in Italy. Bought it about a year ago and use it daily. It still looks and feels brand new.

I am in a similar situation. I have three corkscrews that I use - two screwpulls (one for home and one in my offline bag) and a Durand. I have several more around the house I am sure, but rarely use them and did not include them in my count.

Have a bit over a dozen including all the usual suspects but nothing expensive. Most are in the “wine drawer” in the kitchen along with a pile of those bottle stoppers (that never get used), old corks from special bottles and my favorite Stroh’s brewery bottle opener that has to date back to the 60’s.