How long were you on the Monte Bello waiting list?

looks like price on the estates are pretty standard. obligation is one 750 each of the estate cab, merlot, and chard I believe.

As the Estate Cab has become more popular, Ridge’s pricing has looked better and better. We used to find it discounted at Safeway we’ll below Ridge’s price (even at 20% off pricing) but recently it has been difficult to find better prices than the winery’s sales. I’ve just started buying it up there at the MB events.

I’m not a MB futures buyer but I talked a friend into it :slight_smile:

He was one of those who had purchased a couple of futures vintages without any waiting list but was denied 2018s. Hopefully that is just a one year glitch.

1 Like

I just wanna know who was on the waiting list for 5 years before being offered the chance to purchase MB… and what the story was!

If I understand the question, I’m going to say that that is the null set. The “waiting list” is a new phenomenon. I signed up and immediately got offered the MB, bought for a half dozen years and then just aged out of it.

Data point: I joined the MB list before the 2015 vintage offering (March, 2016) and was given an allocation that year. I’ve bought every vintage since then, and was given the same allocation for 2018. My estate obligation is 3 bottles - usually 1 each of the estate cab, Merlot, and Chard. All 3 very nice wines, but if I could I’d just get the estate cab, or indeed swap in some Zins. Hah! I’ve never asked and should. At $55 the estate cab is great QPR.

1 Like

This is good information and I think if Ridge had shared this with list members who were denied MB futures this spring they may have been more understanding. I finally signed up last year after years mooching and trading for a bottle here and there off a friend who’s been on the MB list for more than 20 years so also didn’t get the futures offer. I have a nice mostly single bottle scattered vertical going back to 2001.

Absolutely no question they botched this from a communications standpoint. Historically, they have had outstanding customer service; they failed here. One hopes they learned from the event and from this post it looks like might well have

given my experience over the last week I’m surprised they had such a communications oversight, but it sounds like they really did botch it like Neal said. I still would understand the frustration given that in 2 years I will still be able to walk into a Total Wine and buy 2018 MB for $200 yet was skipped over on the futures offer.

I double checked my 2018 of Monte Bello futures release and I got everything that I’ve asked for previously. So I wonder how they decided who didn’t get everything they requested and who got their allocations.
I’ve never been on a waitlist and I uppped my allocation starting with a 2016 release to account for the birth of my daughter.
Regardless, Ridge is always a top-notch wine. Estate, Monte Bello etc they never seem to disappoint. If it wasnt so wonky to ship to Indiana, I would buy more.

I signed up for the futures in January of 2017. My first vintage was the 2016 Monte Bello, which I received this past spring. Unfortunately, the cutoff point for the 2018 futures was December of 2016. Everyone on the list prior to 2017 were granted their future allocation for 2018. I missed it by 1 month. Hope this helps!

The email is out … The “sticker price” is $225/750, although Ridge club members get a 10% or 15% discount, depending on the quantity purchased. Shipping is also included for this “members only” pre-release. The futures cost for the 2016 was $115/750 …

That reminds me I need to try to increase my futures orderbeyond 2 bottles. Great discount!

at this point, its probably better to hope it shows up at my local Total Wine and use a coupon on it…

Neal, exactly the same situation here. I signed up about 6 years ago. There was no waiting list and I’ve been offered 4 Monte Bello each year. I dropped off the list after buying my 2018 allocation because in 62 and I’ll be 80 before the 2018 is even remotely close to being ready to drink.