How is your average cost per bottle trending?

Mine is going down as I buy more Riesling and Loire demi-sec and fewer (more expensive) age-worthy reds.

I balance the few spendy WA Rocks wines with affordable WA reds, mostly Rhone, Spanish and Italian. Also buy a lot of Loire, Savoie, Tuscan and Piemonte affordable wines that can be readily shared and gifted. For myself I buy OR PN that beats the pants off Burgundy for the non-wealth crowd. Also stay away from BDX wines both foreign and domestic. I enjoy buying wine, and it is much easier to by a half case of something I know will be readily consumed than a couple bottles I will resist opening, waiting for that special occasion. Half my cellar just sits taking up space. [cheers.gif]

2018- $36/btl
2019- $24/btl

Sample bottles and gifts are inputted at $0 so that is bringing down the average.

2002 - $31
2019 - $60

It has been pretty stable last 5 years.

Trending down. Currently $65 per bottle. Average for Cab and Pinot close to $80, but should continue to decrease since I don’t buy $100 bottles anymore and I’m buying more top shelf Zin at comparably reasonable prices - same for Syrah. Cheers!

Since “sorta retiring” 2 years ago my costs have gone way down.

I have 500 bottles cellared going back to the 80’s. I open mature bottles that were bought when costs were more reasonable and my salary was double what I earn today in a low stress fun job. Now I enjoy the fruits of my patience in the cellar and supplement with daily drinkers, mainly crisp whites and roses.

I am able to find a few gems among the mundane plonk at local Grocery Outlet stores, almost always well under $10. Last weeks sale was 20% off on a bottle and I bought 2 cases for around $100. 4 Provence rose, 10 Rolf Binder dry Riesling, 3 Vinum Cellars Chenin Blanc and 5 very tasty Spaniard reds had an average price of around $4 per bottle on sale.

That’s a fascinating story of developing wine interest (and expenditures) Kirk ! And over a relatively brief time frame from my perspective. [cheers.gif] -Jim

Jim, I think an interesting component to this shift in price is also that from 2006 my income grew close to 10x that by 2018. I feel like that also seriously impacts the shift in price as well.