How is 'Modern" Bordeaux aging? Thinking of 2009 and 2010

2009 Cos d’Estournel is the best red wine I’ve ever had. I have some 2016 in the cellar, you think it will become even better?

Interesting topic guys, a lot to learn here!

My experience on these these vintages is limited as I was just 26/7/8ish yrs of age back then. But I looked back in my notes and noted and here’s my 2 cents on Senejac 09 and Cantenac Brown Brio 09. I did not like them 5 years after harvest (too ripe and modernistic) but they cooled down >10 years and became really to my liking. Tertiary notes and complexity appeared and brought it back to camp classic.

Lanessan 09 was a blast from the get go and developed accordingly. Love this wine and have a single bottle left unfortunately. Did not drink any other vintage but I Remember Robert.A.Jr. (?) posted extensively about this chateau that they go rogue somewhere during the past decade?

Clos Puy Arnaud 09 was quite warm and fruit forward. A correct and enjoyable wine but definitely in modern style.

Maybe its time for a big update on the Bordeaux: modern vs classic topic :wink:

1 Like

Quite agree about Poujeaux 2000, a typically classic wine from an old favourite. I haven’t tried any recent ones.

Inspired by this thread, I took a look at a 2009 last night:

Château Batailley - Pauillac - 2009

Quite a fruity nose of blackcurrants and dark raspberries, but with some cigar box and graphite, then a full-bodied mouthful of blackberry and violet at first, followed by oodles of cooling blackcurrant and a long, if not especially complex finish. This was recommended by Jane Anson and I can see why - it’s a really enjoyable Pauillac, well-rounded and satisfying, not overripe in the least, no more so than any 2000. It’ll be better in another three or four years but it’s already fun with a decant and well worth seeking out. JA gave this 96 points, which I think is a little generous, but it’s certainly worth 93 for me.

2 Likes

I have had few of the major wines, but like Julian I have had a good number of cru bourgeois. Most have been excellent, but in general I have preferred the 10s to the 09s. The few bottles that I have not enjoyed were 09s that I found over ripe, with raisened or pruney characteristics to the fruit. The most recent example I recall is the Serihlan from St Estephe.

2 Likes

That 2009 Lanessan is excellent, and quite the surprise from this ripe vintage! I was not a fan of the 2015, which is when they brought in one of those ubiquitous modernist consultants, so stopped buying. I have seen some recent notes on 2016 from palates that I respect, so have been thinking of circling back to try a few, especially 2019.

1 Like

Traditional vs. Modern Bordeaux? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers Excellent thread.

1 Like

Both are great. But in time, the 2016 will probably be a better wine, though they will be quite different in style.

Why quite different in style?

2 Likes

Yes, and I thought someone might point that out. But that’s an issue separate from inadequate acidity.

Luckily, still-bonkers pricing largely kept me away from 2009 and 2010, so these vintages will never be of great concern to me (the only '09 holding I have is two mags of Lanessan, an excellent year for them, imo; and the only '10’s I have is a small handful of GPL, Rauzan-Segla, Les Carmes HB). About a year ago I had a 375mL of the 2010 GPL – it showed poorly, imo; mildly concerned.

The 2016 is for Bordeaux lovers. :slightly_smiling_face:

Because the vintage conditions were quite different. Have you tasted either, or even better, both 2009 and 2016 COS?

1 Like

I have tasted both.

I am happy to say I agree with Jeff, the 2016 is a better than the 2009, although the ‘16 is not one of the better wines from the vintage and pales considerably besides wines like Pichon, both Lalande and Baron, and its near neighbor Montrose etc.

I have expressed my view on the 2009. I think it’s bombastic, over extracted with zero terroir, and have had this wine now three times with consistent notes. I do apologize to the gentleman who liked it so much.

3 Likes

Three things you can bank on: death, taxes, and Jeff thinking the most recent (ripe) Bordeaux vintage is its best ever!

6 Likes

Just adding my voice on the Lanessan 2019. It is fantastic. Go try go buy!

2 Likes

Slight thread drift here. Thank you, Keith! This is good to know, because I recently backfilled some 2009 Brane Cantenac.

1 Like

I had a bottle of the 2010 Cantemerle a month ago, and I thought it a bit stodgy and foursquare. Possibly it needs more time to come out of its shell, but it’s one of the few left banks that I clearly prefer in 2009 over 2010.

Sounds like me! No wonder I like it!

1 Like

The 2016 Cantermerle is rather good. Long loved wines; I had the ‘49 for Thanksgiving, and it showed beautifully.

Thanks Howard! I think that’s the one I was referring to. I’ll scroll through that one again.

1 Like

So if I understand correctly Robert they had a momentary lapse of reason somewhere halfway the 10s but have reawaken now? I saw 19 offered for 17 euros… I might bite that one.

2 Likes