How important is the serving temperature to you?

I have found that over time I’ve gotten especially picky about wine temperature in the glass – especially since moving to a cool area. Thinking about drinking red wine that’s been sitting out on a sunny patio is a total buzz kill to me. I recall a warm day a couple of years ago when I was tasting over in Woodinville and many of the tasting rooms weren’t keeping the wines at cellar-ish temps and some of the tasting rooms were nearly sweltering. It completely ruined the experience. What say you, especially given the warm summer we’re having?

Very important. I will add ice to red wine if that is the only viable solution. I routinely ask for ice buckets for reds, too.

Important, but more when it’s well outside reasonable ranges. The scenario you describe - sweltering temps - sounds like the type of serving temperature I couldn’t stomach. While I wouldn’t insist on precisely 62-64 for a red, and I’ll tolerate winter room temperatures (around 70), when it gets to summer temps of 75+ it needs to be cooled.

+1

My wife is utterly intolerant of warm reds, so we regularly make waiters’ lives difficult.

Very.

How important is serving temperature of your food? Same thing in my opinion. It’s a cornerstone of the experience.

+1. I like my red wines borderline chilled these days, cellar temp (55-57 degrees F) or just a few degrees higher is ideal.

Another vote for very important.

Too warm really makes for a sensation of “too much alcohol content” imbalance in tasting, among other nastiness.

In the summer 70 deg F max for me. After that the wine gets disjointed.

It’s really tough drinking most red wines during summers in Louisiana. I will often switch to whites and rosé wines until it’s cooler outside.

Quite important. When the temperature of the wine goes up, the tannins and acidity decrease . . . wine becomes flabby . . . not as focused and precise.

In Miami, VERY !

Walked by a restaurant that had a large event outside (90˚f and sunny) All the red wine for BTG program were sitting out in full sun and baking… I suggested to the bar person that he might want to get those bottles out of the sun and into a tub with some ice. He looked at me like I was nuts and then started to joke with a staffer about the crazy guy making suggestions… Ten min later I past by again and lo and behold, wine was in the shade and iced…Just wish the bartender was there but he was gone.

It sounds like I’m like the rest of y’all, the temperature has become increasingly important to me over the years. Probably more so in the hot times of year than at other times (e.g. I don’t mind drinking a 76 degree red wine in January, but I might like that less outdoors on a hot summer day).

It also depends on the wine itself. For example, I probably enjoy Barolo at a bit higher temperature than pinot noir.

I’m pretty OK with it being at the ambient room temperature. We hedonistically keep our house at about 72 Fahrenheit degrees in the summer, and I have a few red wines in a rack in the living room underneath the staircase. I pop ‘n’ pour those fairly often. I have had one restaurant incident where on tasting a, for me, fairly spendy red wine, I liked it, but it was definitely warmer than the ambient air temperature. I asked the waiter put it in an ice bucket for me. After 15 minutes, it was fine.

My wife doesn’t like red at cellar temp; it’s too cold for her. I’m not too picky.

Very important. I get very disappointed when I am at a restaurant and buy either by the glass or bottle and they are warmer than room temperature. At home I have more control of the situation.

Cold diminishes flavor and aroma. 55 degrees is too cold for red wine. 65 degrees is better.

Delete

White wines- usually served too cold.
Red wines- usually served too warm.

At home I take pains not to let this happen.

P Hickner