How has Kosta Browne changed over the last few years

Buyer since the 2005 vintage, and agree with many of the prior comments. The price increases are annoying. I only got one each of the appelation wines this time around, which is my smallest purchase on release since I have been offered an allocation.

“Annoying” is one word, although to be fair these wines were $45 in 2007 (2005 vintage) and now are $72, which isn’t insignificant, but also only about 4% increase/year (looks like they have increased every other year over that time).

That said, I’m dialing back my purchases as well, mainly because I have a lot more than I drink, as I don’t drink $70 wines every night.

And after tax and shipping it comes out to almost 90 dollars a bottle.

The changes have been staggering. Complete 180 from where they started.

Winery and brand has been shifted twice the past few years. No name of Kosta or Brown has any correlation to the winery now. Not surprising to see the prices go up overtime, especially when a new owner pays millions and needs to recoup some $. They are fortunate to have contracts with vineyard fruit that would be near impossible to mess up in bottle no matter who is making it. As far as current style I applaud them in trying to produce pinot with more of its truer characteristics on display rather than a more manipulated creation leaning on syrah.

Agree with everything but the last part. I got into this because of that style and I loved it. Was ok with them dialing back a bit but seems they sold out for why people started buying them in the first place. Obviously free to do as they please but between that issue and price I have dropped them.

Our wine group opened a little horizontal on Thursday evening - both 2006 Russian River Valley and Sonoma Coast appellation bottlings. Both of these showed the ripeness and fruit forward quality that KB was known for back then - so folks who have and continue to enjoy that style will not be disappointed with how these are developing at all. Luckily I have a few more of each of these to continue to do this comparison over the next decade or so . . .

Cheers.

Yeah, I’ve had a couple newer-style KBs and the change is profound; although clearly CA Pinot, they’ve transformed from behemoth to beauty. I’d consider buying KB if R-M didn’t deliver the same experience for 1/3 the price on appellation wines.

I guess I should revisit the R-M appellation Pinots. I think I have only tried the SVD’s (only a few and several years back) and they did not excite me. I would love to get the KB experience for 1/3 the price. Cheers!

Was casually browsing Vinous and wow Galloni really savaged KB for its 2016 vintage. Specifically, for being austere and lacking in fruit. Now Galloni is not the biggest fan of over-the-top wines so when he says these sort of things about a winery known in the past for making such it raises eyebrows. A representative example of one of his notes from this vintage:

“The 2016 Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard is another wine that does not reflect its origins. Where is the richness, depth and texture of Pisoni? Nowhere. The 2016 is compact, austere and under nourished. None of those are attributes I associate with Pisoni.”

As I’ve said before their conscious decision to slim down their wines means they don’t really offer anything unique anymore… their unabashed pride in offering top-quality fruit bomb Pinots in their early vintages was really exciting to me and many others. There are still some winemakers who aren’t afraid to admit that’s their goal but it’s especially hard to make quality wines in this style and KB had the talent to do it. If Galloni’s impressions are accurate, it’s sad to see what’s become of them.

Their wines have been mediocre of late. Comparing 12 KB to 12 cirq was eye opening.

Always fashionable to bash KB. I tasted many of the ‘16’s at the winery and my scores would echo those of Jeb Dunnuck and not the commentary of Galloni.

Tom