How early is too early to open a Napa Cab?

At a local restaurant we are going to this week I saw online their list has 2013 Ladera and La Jota Howell Mtn cabs priced really well but wondered if it’s a mistake to order these. Or should I just stick to their Round Pond and Chappellet Mtn Cuvee offerings? Any thoughts?

I need to start a thread, “The Myth of Drinking Wines Too Young.”

No?

Not before 9:30 am on football Sundays because you have to set up the grill and get the chimney going first before you pop the cork. I did that with a R-M Panek once, which was mentioned in the OP.

This is simply far too broad a question and unanswerable with anything other than overly broad strokes. Having said that, at a minimum, you want three months in the bottle to get through shock but even then some bottling lines and/or prep methods will shock wines for up to 6 months. After that, it all depends on producer, vineyard, ageing technique etc. The previously made assertion that the '12’s would be approachable and the '13’s not so is largely true…in fact, I would make the case that the '14 Napa Cabs would be far preferable to most '13’s as the large tannin loads in those wines would most likely render them fairly impenetrable at this point. Again, too many variables here to comment intelligently.

I agree. Bury the 13’s and drink the '14. We had a delicious '14 Napa Turley a few nights ago. Huge fruit right now.

Drink them when you enjoy them!

I’ve been on ‘weather’ for about 10 days. No cabs for me (or any wine) for the rest of the year so it seems. So, I read my old tasting notes. It seems that I usually give the cabs at least 4 nice years before I enjoy them. Though, I need to account for bias. Yes, I enjoyed the older cabs more but also they were more ‘hand picked’ so to speak (fewer, and from generally better/outstanding storage, as well as higher tier wineries)

Why do you say this?
I am looking for your perspective on why as I like both of these vintages.
I do understand the concept of a bit too young. What are your thoughts about the 13 versus the 12?
Thanks and anyone can chime in here.

I’m surprised Pobega hasn’t weighed in here.

I don’t like to open any Napa Cab in the first 5-10 years (depending on the producer). That’s just a preference. I always think that they (meaning the producers I like) have a better profile with more age. Again, completely personal preference and reflective of the Napa Cabs I drink. Obviously, there are vintage variations or other factors that change that calculus, but I’m just thinking about my 2004s now. I am drinking some 2007 though. A couple of years ago, they weren’t showing that awesome and are better now (as they were in their youth to be fair). I’m not sure why anyone would be touching their '13s, but to each their own.

This is why you see so many smart ass answers. How can you say as Napa Cab can be all over the place from dense tannic monsters to fruit forward lightweights. There isn’t any set time to open a bottle. Depends on what you want. The average wine is consumed within 24 hours of purchase whether it is Napa Cab or not. Yeah, we’re “special” here but we even have a term named for one of our most “prodigious” members for drinking up wine right away. So, it depends. Maybe a price point or origin might be necessary to make the difference. Rutherford, maybe you don’t want to open early but just Napa designation, there may not be a lot of point in waiting.

I was going to say wait until 10 minutes before you got to your home/destination. Responsible driving.

It’s 5 o’clock somewhere

I like a lot of answers in this thread.

If you like tannin and lots of fruit, you can drink immediately with 2-4 hours decanted.

But I find most quality Cabs start hitting their stride at age 5-7. And I recommend starting to seriously drink them by 8-12. After that, you are starting to enter “crapshoot” land where some have lost their fruit and yet won’t have the secondary nuances of Bordeaux.

There are always exceptions. I had a 1991 Dalla Valle Cab the other day that was amazing at age 25. But I wonder if it was even more amazing 10 years ago at age 15?

For Napa I am more a fan of fruit and like to consume them while they have it.

I like a lot of the answers as well but Roy nailed it and brought it all together.

Good point. I think part of it depends on what you feel like is amazing - you may want a certain style of wine one day, and a certain style another. Those days may be 24 hours apart, or 24 years apart.

Mike’s been quiet for last month… stopped drinking or traveling or nursing his newfound lean Pinot habit… :slight_smile:

I like these wines 5 -12 years from vintage date. Many are excellent up to 20+ years but ymmv after 12 years.