how do you pick the bottle you are opening?

Two potential paths:

Wife wants some wine…grab a Champagne or a young/youngish Riesling
Wife doesn’t want wine…grab a random bottle from the 30 or so in the “try soon” queue.

First decide on red or white based on dinner. Sometimes both, one as an appetizer. Then narrow it down to variety and style based on what we are eating. Take into account if it is just me drinking or my wife too. Then consider if I had a good day and anything will make me happy or had a bad day and need something to look forward to.

Occasionally I throw all that out the window and just open something I really want to drink, whether it is ideal for the food or not. It usually works out.

When we have guests I start with the above but give it more thought and usually reach for something more special.

A lot of what others noted… What’s for Dinner? What’s drinking well? Is it an occasion? Will the Mrs be imbibing as well? And lastly, when do I start to raise these questions as some things require decanting while others are Pop’n Pour.

What am I eating? Who is having wine with me (if anyone)? How much attention am I able to give the wine?