How do I buy from people's cellars?

He’s a narc everyone! neener

looks like some people got busted by the feds 15 years ago. doesn’t sound like the penalty was particularly onerous.
https://m.sfgate.com/wine/article/Feds-bust-collectors-who-sell-wine-online-2725035.php

Nathan speaks with wisdom. It is one thing to occasionally slim down your collection- but the amateur P2P flipping industry is getting rather obvious of late.

Wow, he got caught and he only sold 200 cases! Seller beware!

I remember when that went down. It says he sold 500 cases. I think this quote sums it up though.

Hobbyists can get out of paying the tax if they can prove they don’t trade wine as part of a regular business, says Dave Royalty, district director for investigations in TTB’s Sacramento office.

“All they have to do is write us back and explain the circumstances,” says Royalty. There is no specific threshold for the TTB deciding someone is a retailer, but “occasional sales are not what we’re talking about here. If someone is setting themselves up as a dealer by doing this repetitively, that causes some additional scrutiny.”

It sounds like they were looking for business posing as consumers regardless what legal platform you were using.

Arthur Goldman ran afoul of the state's liquor monopoly. Can you blame him? Another example of excessive selling. If you’re selling a few cases I think the bigger risk is your carrier refusing the shipment or perhaps having it destroyed.

That term also applies in Ohio …

In that case, the guy was clearly running a business. Plus, it was Pennsylvania.

FYI, that link doesn’t work for me. Here’s a link to another story on the case, and the lede of the story:

State police have busted a Chester County attorney for allegedly running an illegal high-end wine smuggling business out of his Malvern home.

Police seized 2,426 bottles of wine - valued between $150,000 and $200,000 - from the home of Arthur David Goldman, 49, on Jan. 6 and charged him with violating the state liquor code, according to Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan’s office…

This was definitely not the outcome I was expecting from this thread

I have bought and sold from other people on many occasions. Sometimes we just traded. It is getting to know the people that is the hardest part. Commerce corner is a great start. I doubt any police force is going to waste resources on individual citizens making a deal on a few bottles here or there.

Why are you such a Debbie downer? You must be some code enforcer as you have the proper mentality for it.

You want to buy wines from people, gotta start knocking on some doors and asking.

Nathan believes that all government regulation is oppression. To raise your consciousness to a greater awareness of that fact, he interprets all regulations as if they were written with the intent to oppress you.