How are you tracking with respect to your 2016 wine goals?

I’m actually not doing as well as I had hoped. I’ve spent half of my yearly budget in the first 4 months…but despite this, I’m really happy with the last 30 days. My plan for the rest of the year is to only buy 2015 Germans (and a few Kellers I’ve already reserved) and a few mailing lists.

Yes, with the proviso that one of my “wine goals” is always to expand my group of people I get to meet and share wine with, which has continued in flashes (lots of new people at FallTacular this year, some new people met in Ottawa and Chicago, hopefully more upcoming in Vancouver and Seattle this month).

Mike

I am on track. After 3-4 years of not buying anything, I am getting back in the game, slowly. Restocking where I have the biggest holes, staying on budget, keeping wine as a 2nd tier priority behind vacations. I am quite happy with the progress.

I’ve wanted to acquire more magnums and I’ve done quite well so far.

My wine goals for the year involve getting everything in one place and fully inventoried. That has meant arranging for some sizable shipments, and chasing down a few stray outstanding purchases from years past. So far, so good.

I no longer look at my credit card and i really need the money from the sale of my 2nd home which i clise on in june 11th.

I made a goal to not purchase any wine in 2016.
Last week I bought 5 cases. Oh well. That will probably be it for the year.

Still buying too much, but more controlled madness than last year.

My only goal is to keep my wife from killing me for over spending. So far, I am not doing so well.

I successfully avoided the most recent Last Bottle marathon.

I am not renewing two mailing lists.

Thinking about how to expand the cellar - perhaps a ‘reduced head room’ area.

If your still well enough to post, I say you’re doing fine. champagne.gif

Doing better with Aubert kicking me off list and Selection Massale shutting down.

I wrote a ‘buying aspirations’ post on another forum, and it has been remarkably useful in keeping my buying in check and focused on what I need to bring a more desirable balance to the cellar. It is too easy to buy Barolo and Barbaresco. I know a reasonable amount, and there is good value to be had. That sometimes means I buy too much of it because it is a safe buy. I was certainly too influenced by buying ‘bargains’ be that an internet offer, sale, or auction purchase. Not all those bargains present as good value as another bottle bought at full retail.

The upside is that I am more excited by what is in the cellar, and the wider variety of options they will offer in the future.

Still some time to go this year, but I would very much recommend a similar approach to others who find themselves buying often and along similar lines, but who may feel they need to have a rethink.

Goals? We don’t need no stinkin’ goals.

Cutting back on a few offers and reducing the ones I have bought from, money is a little tight right now with some life things in the way. Have some wines to tide me over for now though so no real complaints. Would like to start reducing list purchases and maybe by some more one off bottles to get familiar with different producers. Cheers!

Been aggressively loading up on 2010 Brunello’s and 2012/13 Napa Cabs.

I swear other than paying my mortgage and car payment, all I spend my money on is food and wine.

The ESSENTIALS of LIVING is what I tell my girlfriend :slight_smile:

Trying to stick to my ‘wine budget’ of allocating only 6% of my income- I’m slightly over budget now, but now that I’m past the winter and spring club shipments, hopefully I can close that gap before they all start back up in the fall…

Fascinating. Is this some kind of brainwashed by corporate crapspeak affliction?

No specific goals…well maybe try some more Grillo but really will have to hold out for 2015 German Rieslings eventhough pickings might not be that great up here.

Is there a reason you feel a need to be a dick?

Is it unreasonable to have goals? I get that others may not. Good for them. I feel like I’m at a point in my wine evolution that I need them to help me focus - help me think through what I really want to get out of this - and also help insure that the limited $$$ I have supports that.

I think some people are confusing ‘goals’ = I must achieve this or I will be a failure.

They really are as simple as understanding a little better what we would like to have in the cellar now or in the future, or trying to better balance this wine hobby with real life