Historic Vineyard Society 1st Annual Tour & Dinner

Hi Jeff, to add to that Mike has written (thanks Mike!): Running a web site, and organizing events, incurs and administrative cost, which the HVS needs to pick up. So far they have run one fund-raising event, through The Rare Wine Company, where wineries donated wines, and the sales of which went to supporting the HVS. Read more here:
http://www.rarewineco.com/downloads/newsletter/archive/nov1610.pdf

The best ways to protect the old vines, and support the HVS, is first support wineries who farm these vineyards by buying their wine, and look for upcoming events from the HVS!

This leads to another idea, which might be difficult, but might also be rewarding for anyone who feels passionate about the old vineyards. Would it be possible to set up a business whose sole purpose is to “invest” in historical old vineyards. Then allow passionate wine lovers to buy shares in the company. Wonder how hard this would be to set up?

Interesting idea! I imagine it would be very difficult to set up and do well, and maybe needs a benefactor to get it rolling, but hey, sometimes great projects start with an original idea!

Thanks Glenn! [cheers.gif]

I would have bused that table just to gather the bottle scraps!

Oh man, you can’t even imagine. As I was walking out, Morgan handed me a half-full (yes, in this case I’m all optimist) magnum of 2009 Bedrock Vineyard Ancient Vine Syrah [wink.gif] and told me to not let it go to waste [drinkers.gif]

Thanks Joe! Looks like maybe I have a future in men’s magazines! [snort.gif]

Most were fill-flashed, except some at Whitton Ranch the light was so perfectly soft I didn’t need the flash.

Ok, just checked out your website. You, sir, have some talent. I’ve photographed a lot of the same places and all look familiar. Very jealous of your racetrack photo in DV, it was just too far of a drive from Furnace Creek when I was there shooting. You have a fantastic eye for composition. Great portfolio. Pro or just an enthusiast?

Thanks so much! I’m an amateur photographer, electrical engineer by day (yes it would be difficult to replace that salary). I highly recommend you make it back to Death Valley, and try to hit the northern areas like Racetrack and Eureka Dunes. It’s really magical up there.

Thanks Bob [cheers.gif]

Good catch Brig! I was aware of this field blend, but not that it came from old vines.

Larry, Great Job. Loved those pics.

Maybe the wineries create a “co-op” of historic vineyard wines together to advertise/support their efforts to keep them going and allow people to join for a small fee and receive small discounted purchasing rights. Like a mailing list. Could add a shopping card right on the website…

They could also create a brand, a logo, which all the producers put on the label stating the fact.

There is some old vine Mission planted up in Amador Co., Story Winery and Nine Gables Vineyard both make Mission wines.

Terrific stuff. Thanks for posting this.

Cheers,
Doug

Sean - Thanks!

Just ordered some 2010 Birichino Amici Grenache Vieilles Vignes and looking forward to trying it sometime next week. From 101 year old Grenache Vines in the SCM’s (Near Gilroy I believe).

Sean is correct here. Story Winery on BellRd has been making a dry Mission wine for yrs. It’s not particularly good, but the vines are beautiful.
There used to be some very old Mission vines on Chet Eschen Ranch (now Rinaldi) and Deaver Vnyd but don’t know if any remains.
Lee Sobon/Shenandoah Vnyds used to make a beautiful CreamSherry from Chet’s grapes. CharlieMeyers/HarborWnry makes a
wonderful Mission del Sol, solera process, dessert wine from Deaver grapes. Don’t know if he still does, though.
There are a number of old Mission plots up in MendocinoCnty and, I believe, down in the CienegaVlly. And there’s surely
some old plantings in the CentralVlly left.
Tom

Great report on that event, Larry. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
I’d be very interested in hearing what DaveGates found out about that white grape vine there at LyttonSprings.
Tom

I’ll make it a point to ask him on the 19th! Any chance you’ll be at the 2nd Annual Tour & Dinner Tom?

I can’t wait to hear a tasting note on this.

Alas, no…too much travel out that way this summer for NEB#3 in June and FriuliFest in July. Can’t do it this time.
Tom